First Batch - Friends say Fart & Burps but Fkn good!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jasolhe

Reaction score
You know it made me think, my farts have went from maybe 1-2 a day to over 10 since started drinking my first batch (32oz a night) every night. No belching though.

2 friends split a 32oz bottle last night and both got lots burps/farts. What I do wrong if anything?

2 week in primary, 3 days no hydrometer change for 17 total days primary, then bottled for 2 weeks and begin drinking one a night (24 hours in fridge beforehand). Drink one a night took 2 weeks to finish all them so some stayed in bottle for 3 or 4 weeks.

My diet has very little sugar - just fruit and thats it. Maybe I have too much active yeast in the bottle - not sure if or why and how to reduce?

Any tips? Google search yeast and all I get is vag

^^^^ it has to do with the yeast. If I go too long without drinking any of my homebrew and then have a few in a night, I get stomach aches. It goes away over time.

Do you drink out of the bottle? Use a glass and try to leave the yeast at the bottom. Some people swirl the bottle before pouring but I like to leave the yeast behind.

I like to give the beer time to settle out clear or slightly misty before bottling. Less yeast trub in the bottles that way.

I used to get that too until I started leaving the yeast in the bottle.

Pour slowly, holding the bottle and glass up so you can see the beer in the neck. Pour slowly enough so that it doesn't glug-glug-glug, but no need for any slower. You'll see the yeast as dark specks floating up. Once they each the neck, stop pouring. You should have about 1/4-1/2 in of beer remaining, with very little to no yeast in your glass.

Don't worry, even with a dark Belgian Trappist beer the yeast is darker and very obvious. Just pour it in a well-lit area and go slow.

If you drink straight from the bottle you WILL get the farts! However, that's not something to be feared, but embraced as a sign of a true home brewer!

makes sense - i don't like to dirty extra dishes though - i wonder if that sediment is good or bad for you health wise?

I used to get that too until I started leaving the yeast in the bottle.

Pour slowly, holding the bottle and glass up so you can see the beer in the neck. Pour slowly enough so that it doesn't glug-glug-glug, but no need for any slower. You'll see the yeast as dark specks floating up. Once they each the neck, stop pouring. You should have about 1/4-1/2 in of beer remaining, with very little to no yeast in your glass.

Don't worry, even with a dark Belgian Trappist beer the yeast is darker and very obvious. Just pour it in a well-lit area and go slow.

If you drink straight from the bottle you WILL get the farts! However, that's not something to be feared, but embraced as a sign of a true home brewer!

Brewer's Yeast is actually a dietary supplement found in almost any vitamin section at the store. I have heard stories of a guy whose blood pressure and cholesterol were significantly improved after beginning to brew and drink his own beer.

I believe the cell bodies are also high in B-vitamins, so there's that advantage, too.

My son the gym rat & health nut found out that the alcohol blocks the absorption of B vitamins like milk does. That was a bit of a let down.

You know it made me think, my farts have went from maybe 1-2 a day to over 10 since started drinking my first batch (32oz a night) every night. No belching though.

2 friends split a 32oz bottle last night and both got lots burps/farts. What I do wrong if anything?

2 week in primary, 3 days no hydrometer change for 17 total days primary, then bottled for 2 weeks and begin drinking one a night (24 hours in fridge beforehand). Drink one a night took 2 weeks to finish all them so some stayed in bottle for 3 or 4 weeks.

My diet has very little sugar - just fruit and thats it. Maybe I have too much active yeast in the bottle - not sure if or why and how to reduce?

Any tips? Google search yeast and all I get is vag
I think the main problem is your diet not the beer. Omnivores aren't meant to be strictly fruit eaters. The grains and proteins threw your body for a loop.

Not wanting to dirty a dish is not a very good excuse for drinking out of the bottle. For one thing as discussed above you are consuming most/all the yeast in the bottle and that is contributing to the gassiness. The yeast also muddies up some of the flavors of the beer (unless its a hefe/wit than some yeast flavor is to be expected/encouraged). For instance an IPA with a lot of yeast haze doesnt 'pop' like a good clear IPA should.

Lastly, you get very little to no aroma by drinking out of the bottle. Try eating a good steak with a clothespin on your nose, its a similar phenomena.

Fwiw I found that kegging reduced my problems in this area. A good cold crash before kegging, then drawing off that first glass or two with some yeasties in it... The remainder of the keg is very clear, at least in my experience.
In retrospect I think it's very hard, maybe impossible, not to agitate the yeast sediment into suspension when handling a bottle; especially if you are upending it over and over again by drinking out of the bottle. Keep that sediment in mind when you handle the bottles. Don't store them in the refrigerator door, or on their sides. Cheers!

sorry i meant the only carbs i get are from fruit and beer... i eat lots of meat, veggies
I think the main problem is your diet not the beer. Omnivores aren't meant to be strictly fruit eaters. The grains and proteins threw your body for a loop.

very good points
i actually got a glass last night, it tasted better - plus cool to see the head - need to find nice beer mug

Not wanting to dirty a dish is not a very good excuse for drinking out of the bottle. For one thing as discussed above you are consuming most/all the yeast in the bottle and that is contributing to the gassiness. The yeast also muddies up some of the flavors of the beer (unless its a hefe/wit than some yeast flavor is to be expected/encouraged). For instance an IPA with a lot of yeast haze doesnt 'pop' like a good clear IPA should.

Lastly, you get very little to no aroma by drinking out of the bottle. Try eating a good steak with a clothespin on your nose, its a similar phenomena.

Latest posts

Back