first batch; fermentation slowing down

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

triplehops

Reaction score
thanks to all who give such great input... I started my first batch (since the 80's) 2 days ago. the first day i had no activity and chimed in here...the theme was be patient. i agree. later that night, it was like a scene from matrix when the machines broke through and the swirling of yeast was awesome to watch. day 2 brought a blow out (well i prevented it) and I was able to place a blowout pipe (all sanitized and worked great). day 3 and its all calm. i see some activity, but the co release has significantly slowed. Day 1 it looked like red (its a red ale) and today it looks like apple cider.

what happened to my red ale? or am i just looking too much at this...

just love this forum.... :drunk:

It really is all about letting it do its thing. It takes a good amount of time for it ferment out and let whatever particles drop out of suspension. If you look up fermentation time lapse, you can see what it does.

Just be patient :rockin:

thanks to all who give such great input... I started my first batch (since the 80's) 2 days ago. the first day i had no activity and chimed in here...the theme was be patient. i agree. later that night, it was like a scene from matrix when the machines broke through and the swirling of yeast was awesome to watch. day 2 brought a blow out (well i prevented it) and I was able to place a blowout pipe (all sanitized and worked great). day 3 and its all calm. i see some activity, but the co release has significantly slowed. Day 1 it looked like red (its a red ale) and today it looks like apple cider.

what happened to my red ale? or am i just looking too much at this...

just love this forum.... :drunk:

If you can see color changes I hope you are looking thru a clear carboy. If not stop opening the bucket. Let it sit for 3 weeks then check the FG to be sure it's done.

If you saw fermentation (krausen rising, yeast swirling, etc.) you can be comfortable that fermentation started. If you kept the beer within the yeast's temp range, fermentation will finish. (Note: stable, non-fluctuating temps are preferred).

If you have a clear fermenter it's easy to see if krausen has settled & yeast have stopped swirling. At that point I like to let sit for another 1-2 weeks before taking a gravity reading.

yes to all above. i have a glass carboy. this am its slow. very slow. but i will wait it out for a week or so...then change to a second fermenter...

triplehops said:
yes to all above. i have a glass carboy. this am its slow. very slow. but i will wait it out for a week or so...then change to a second fermenter...

Sounds good so far. You got advice about patience and presumably have been looking at other similar threads in here. So I'm curious about why you are planning to rack to secondary carboy? Why not leave in primary 2 more weeks and then bottle?

The fact that the bubbling is slowing down can only signify that initial fermentation is finishing up. It'll then creep slowly & uneventfully down to FG. Then another 3-7 days to clean up by products of fermentation & settle out clear or slightly misty.

triplehops said:
purer taste and look.

I think it is unlikely secondary fermentation will help either of these. You are more likely to introduce off taste from oxidation or infection than to purify your flavor profile. Evidence on racking to improve clarity is not clear (heh) either.

To me there are just a few good reasons to consider secondary in no particular order...

Dry hopping batches where you would like to harvest the yeast
Need the primary fermentor for next batch
Planning long secondary fermentation to bulk age a big beer

That's all I can think of right now. Am sure there are more, I used to secondary everything but last 10 batches I've only put 1 in secondary and that was a barley wine that I want to age 8 months on oak.

Hey guys.... Reading your thread... I brewed my first all grain this weekend.... I am using a bucket as opposed to glass carboy for primary... Very active as of this morning.... My question is when to rack to the secondary? There seem to be so many opinions on the subject... Speaking to the brewer at my local brew pub.... He suggested that I rack it as soon as active fermentation stops.... Then secondary for two weeks... Is there an actual right time? Just wondering....

You can't apply times to fermenting beer,actual or otherwise. It's done when it's done,since each brew is a bit different. Leave it in primary to finish & settle out clear or slightly misty. Then bottle.

After racked to the carboy for two weeks... Then beer is racked to bottling bucket???? Why not skip the carboy all together and secondary right in the bottling bucket?? Seems to me it would cut down on the chance of contamination by one less rack.. Sorry if these questions are stupid... But I just want some beer this time! Lol my first batch of extract turned up looking like butterscotch pudding! I went the full grain rout this time as the extract just didn't feel 'natural' enough. I'm attempting an Amber Ale and primary has pretty much stopped... I need to make a decision.. Lol. Just lookin for input. Thanks. Markus6767

Back