First Batch Completed!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alwhite77

Reaction score
My first batch of hard cider is complete. This is my first ever attempt at any homebrew as well. I'm satisfied with the end result. This was definately a learning experience.

I made several mistakes in the first batch, and have learned from those. I just started a second batch, using the information that I have learned! I believe this latest will be much better than the first.

First batch mistakes:
Didn't start yeast, and killed most of it! Had to add more yeast. This resulted in a strong yeasty flavor, and aroma at bottling time.

Added too much sugar pre-fermentation. This resulted in the need to stop the fermentation, to prevent a very strong drink. Also, the end result is very sweet! Tastes good, but still very sweet! Almost a dessert drink.

Failed to check specific gravity, when pitching first yeast. End result, I have no idea how strong the cider is. Is this a problem, not really. It would be nice to know though.

On the upside, I still have hard cider that is drinkable, and not vinegar! Yay!

Primary: Cider (without the previous mistakes)
Bottled: Cider (with previous mistakes)

Latest posts

Back