First batch, bottling time, beer has a rotting trash smell

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cbfan87

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm a little bumed, I brewed an all grain pumpkin beer with canned pumpking and butter nut squash.

I used safale 05 as the yeast, (its the NB smashing pumpkin kit)

Anyways, on day 10 I took a sample for gravity and it was down to 1.006. I just took a gravity reading and its 1.006/5. OG was 1.054

It tasted pretty good on day 10, and today which marks 3 weeks in the primary, I was going to bottle and smelled my gravity sample. Theres a slight but distinct odor of something rotting kinda like rotting vegetables or something. I can taste it as well.

Is this an infection? the beer is pretty clear, and theres nothing growing on top at all.

Pretty discouraged, because the intial sample I took on day 10 was pretty darn good, and it was pretty much done fermenting at that point. What the heck could of happend. I use star san like crazy.

So I just bottled it all in hopes the off taste will go away with conditioning.

Does anyone have insight? I'm worried I just wasted a whole bunch of time and im going to have to pitch it.

:(

Hmm. I'm biased but I bet it's because it's pumpkin beer, with squash.

I hope it comes through for you though. I hate to see wasted batches. Yeast lived and died to make that beer.

Just one thought. Bottle it and see how it turns out when carbed. Carbonation makes a huge difference in the flavor of your beer under all circumstances. Now if your batch is infected, this will not solve anything. And to protect your self from possible bottle bombs if it is infected, you may want to let the bottles carb up in a plastic tub.

All that being said, the beer straight out of the fermenter never tastes exactly like the finished product. Give it time and see what you get. If you open a bottle in 2 weeks and you have a gusher, you might have an infection and dumping may be your only option.

Just one thought. Bottle it and see how it turns out when carbed. Carbonation makes a huge difference in the flavor of your beer under all circumstances. Now if your batch is infected, this will not solve anything. And to protect your self from possible bottle bombs if it is infected, you may want to let the bottles carb up in a plastic tub.

All that being said, the beer straight out of the fermenter never tastes exactly like the finished product. Give it time and see what you get. If you open a bottle in 2 weeks and you have a gusher, you might have an infection and dumping may be your only option.

Thanks, its just seems odd to me that it tasted good after fermination was complete on day 10, and now after 3 weeks it taste kindalike pumpkin pie left out on the counter too long and its starting to go bad.

They are all bottled now so, I guess I'm going to find out

Hmm. I'm biased but I bet it's because it's pumpkin beer, with squash.

I hope it comes through for you though. I hate to see wasted batches. Yeast lived and died to make that beer.

Meaning you don't like pumpkin beer so of course it taste bad lol?

I figured once fermented, the chance of infection would be slim. That said I was pretty anal about santizer and liberal with the star san.

Back