First attempt at rinsing yeast.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dnr

Up your IBU!
Reaction score
I followed instructions pretty well, I think. But is the only bit of yeast the little white later in the middle? This is an experiment more than anything.
15894792176864849721449918703405.jpg

Looks about what I usually have. I don't really rinse/wash/whatever, just swirl the yeast and beer around in the bottom of the fermenter and pour it into a mason jar. Looks like there was a bit of hop material in there.

Edit: All the layers will have viable yeast in them. The white layer is pure yeast, but there is yeast mixed in with the darker, brown layer and even in the heavy hop/trub material on the bottom.

Last edited:
My wife just planned some herbs in Mason jars on our windowsill. I showed her the "yeast gardens" were all growing on here.
:thumbsup::mug:

My wife doesn’t even ask questions or investigate random mason jar projects anymore. Between mead/wine/ciders, beers, veggies, ginger bugs and kombucha, there’s always something hidden in a dark warm corner. Hoping to add sourdough to the mix. Reusing and storing yeasts in the kitchen fridge definitely got her to bring up buying a fridge for the basement before I had to. “Ohh great idea! I never thought about my own beer fridge downstairs...”

Back