First Attempt at Decoction Mashing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

schiersteinbrewing

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
This weekend I am going to attempt my first decoction mash, making my first Oktoberfest.

I have spent the last month researching decoction mashing, just want to make sure I have my notes correct.

Grain Bill:
5lb Munich Malt
5lb 2-row Pilsner Malt
1lb Wheat Malt
.5lb Caramunich Malt

Planning on a double decoction.

Steps:
1. Dough-in at 90F
2. Heat mash to 122f
3. Pull 1st Decoction (1qt thick mash for every pound of grain)
4. Heat decoction to 150f, rest 15-20 min
5. Heat decoction to boil, let boil 10-15 min
6. Gradually add decoction back to mash tun until mash temp is 149f, rest 20-30 min (add reminder of hot decoction to mash as necessary to maintain temp)
7. Pull 2nd decoction (1/2qt thick mash for every lb of grain)
8. Heat decoction to boil, boil 10-15min
9. Gradually add decoction back to mash tun until mash temp is 158f, rest 20-30 min (add reminder of hot decoction to mash as necessary to maintain temp)
10. For mash out, collect the thin mash, bring to boil, gradually add thin mash back into mash tun until temp is 170f, rest 10 min (alternatively use direct heat on mash tun to raise temp to 170f)
11. Sparge as usual

Stir like crazy anytime heat is being applied to decoction or mash.
Mash tun being used for this is a stainless steel kettle.

Does this sound correct?
Also if I wanted to do a triple decoction, how would I change this?

You've got the idea, every thing looks good. The third decoction would be the decoction to hit mash out if you want to do it. Just be ready for a long brew day, but a fun one.

Check this video out: [ame]http://youtu.be/IIQPQmELWPo[/ame]
Great explanation to a simple approach on decoction

The only thing that worries me is that by starting at 122, and pulling the first decoction there, is that the mash will spend a very long time at protein rest temperatures.

I'm a believer in short protein rests, and I like to do them at 131-133. If I do a protein rest, I try to keep it under 15 minutes.

A longer rest at 122 will negatively impact the body of the beer, especially with fully modified malts, and give a thin, watery beer in the end.

I'd probably try a Hochkurtz double decoction, if you really wanted to do a double decoction, instead of the schedule you have.

The only thing that worries me is that by starting at 122, and pulling the first decoction there, is that the mash will spend a very long time at protein rest temperatures.

I'm a believer in short protein rests, and I like to do them at 131-133. If I do a protein rest, I try to keep it under 15 minutes.

A longer rest at 122 will negatively impact the body of the beer, especially with fully modified malts, and give a thin, watery beer in the end.

I'd probably try a Hochkurtz double decoction, if you really wanted to do a double decoction, instead of the schedule you have.

For the Hochkurz method you basically dough in then rest at 146 for 30min, then use your first decoction to raise to 158 and rest for 30 min, then use your second decoction to raise to 168, rest for 10 min, then sparge?

Kaiser and Northern Brewer are what I have used to learn about decoction mashing.

For the Hochkurz method you basically dough in then rest at 146 for 30min, then use your first decoction to raise to 158 and rest for 30 min, then use your second decoction to raise to 168, rest for 10 min, then sparge?

Kaiser and Northern Brewer are what I have used to learn about decoction mashing.

Yes. If you are using fully modified malts (and you most likely are, as it's hard to find otherwise), a protein rest, especially a lengthy one, is detrimental.

I know pjj2ba does a lot of protein rests, and he makes fabulous pilsners but I don't know about the length of them. So, I'm looking at one of his recipes here: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f58/2013-nhc-bronze-medal-winner-classic-american-pilsner-419449/. He's got a very short protein rest also, plus the grainbill has adjuncts in it (which can benefit from a protein rest).

He's more likely to have good solid advice on step mashing than I am, as I rarely do decoctions or even very many lagers, and don't step mash much at all either! So I'd trust someone like that (and of course braukaiser) over my 2 cents. :cross:

Back