First Attempt at Bottling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CDavis

Reaction score
Hey Everyone!

On my first batch, you all have already helped out so much and I appreciate it greatly!

Been reading alot of the forum and the howtobrew.com book, I have had a stable reading of 1.010 on the Hydrometer the past couple days and now I am sitting at 3 weeks in the fermenter.

This is an english pale ale from the Brewers best kit.

I have been collecting bottles, soaking them in warm water with dish detergent and then washing them with warm water and boxing them away.

I am planning to use a vinator and just rinse through them with Star San shake out and kill immediatly then cap.

Does this seem clean and sterilized enough? I have read alot about you all using a lot more steps than that and just want to know your thoughts. All of the bottles are from what I can see fairly clean, no debris but have not been brushed clean inside and out, will the star san then fill do the trick?

Also I bought some bottles and they are clean maybe a bit dusty, have not washed them or anything, will these be ok to just throw through the vinator or should they be cleaned before hand?

Thanks in advance as always for your help....so far so good, so lets get this through the final 10 yards!

I would still bottle brush because if their is stubborn debris in the bottle your more likely to get it out & have a beer go bad

Dish detergent might not be the best choice. Most people use oxy-clean for old bottles and to remove labels.

If you're buying a case of non-twist-off beer, and pouring the beer into a glass for consumption, the only step necessary for preparing the bottles for storage is a good rinse and let drain/dry. Then a quick shot of star-san before filling, and you're golden.

Back