First Attempt at a Cabernet

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kcmobrewer

Reaction score
Just wondering what you guys think.

Tried my first attempt at a wine kit. Cabernet. Followed all the kit directions but it came out pretty sulfury. Bottled it anyway and now 6 months later the sulfur taste is gone but it tastes weird. Hard to describe but I would say it tastes and has the mouthfeel of butter almost.

When I drink a Cabernet I expect something very dry and heavy on the tannins. The definitely is neither yet.

I know Cabernets can take a really long time to be drinkable. So I'm prepared to wait. Just curious if anyone else has experienced this mostly. I'm just worried I may put in all this time for something that just won't taste good. Maybe I made some sort of error.

Not sure on the recipe as it was a kit. Fermented around 70. Degassed for 10 mins or so after primary with a wine whip. Put in the oak chips. Stabilized. Used the included fining agent. Bottled a month later. Maybe 2 months after initial fermentation. Been in bottles about 7 months now.

Some bottles have actually been slightly carbonated, not sure how that's possible after degassing the hell out of it. To the point of worrying I may have done too much.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I would give a Cab at least a year. I don't know why, but dry homemade wines take a very long time, in my experience, to be good / great.

Hmm ok. Thanks. That's what I figured. It has improved quite a bit since bottling. Just not where I want it to be. Thankfully they're on a rack in a closet. Out of sight, out of mind lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Back