First All Grain

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jtrux

Reaction score
How does my recipe look for a Mexican Lager? Also for the grits, if I use quick grits, can I just add them with the grain and biab or do I need to do a cereal mash? Thanks again for any help

IMG_0153.JPG

I guess....it's ok. I've never used grits, so can't comment on that.

But I will say this: I am a firm believer that when people start out--and shifting to all-grain is a similar issue--they should start with simple, established recipes known to produce good beer.

When you decide to strike out on your own, you risk this: if the beer doesn't turn out, was it your process, or was it your recipe? There's no way to tell.

Until you get the process down, I don't think it's advisable to start trying new stuff.

Now, this is brewing, and we all get to make our own choices, and part of the fun is making those decisions. In the end, you get to decide what makes you happy, and more power to you.

But if you want to get your all-grain exercise to the point where it's producing excellent beer, consider whether your approach is the most likely to yield positive results.

My 2 cents.

I guess....it's ok. I've never used grits, so can't comment on that.

But I will say this: I am a firm believer that when people start out--and shifting to all-grain is a similar issue--they should start with simple, established recipes known to produce good beer.

When you decide to strike out on your own, you risk this: if the beer doesn't turn out, was it your process, or was it your recipe? There's no way to tell.

Until you get the process down, I don't think it's advisable to start trying new stuff.

Now, this is brewing, and we all get to make our own choices, and part of the fun is making those decisions. In the end, you get to decide what makes you happy, and more power to you.

But if you want to get your all-grain exercise to the point where it's producing excellent beer, consider whether your approach is the most likely to yield positive results.

My 2 cents.

Thank you

I concur with the above about starting simply. I always do this when i am changing any major part of my process. I don't have any experience brewing with grits either. However i have eaten them and they can be thick. I would suggest rice hulls, better safe than sorry.

I'll also agree that you should start with an established recipe but will add that your quick grits can go directly into your mash.

Latest posts

Back