first all grain

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gonpce

Reaction score
I am hoping to brew my firs all grain batch in a couple of weeks (I've done 3 extract batches so far) I have a 5 gal and a 3 gal pot, can I do part of the boil with the bittering hops(1 hour) in the 5 gal and do the aroma part in the 3 gal ( maybe 15 min) and mix the two. If this is a bad idea I would appreciate any advice.

I am hoping to brew my firs all grain batch in a couple of weeks (I've done 3 extract batches so far) I have a 5 gal and a 3 gal pot, can I do part of the boil with the bittering hops(1 hour) in the 5 gal and do the aroma part in the 3 gal ( maybe 15 min) and mix the two. If this is a bad idea I would appreciate any advice.

You can split your boil if you have to, since you'll be starting with about 6.5 gallons of wort for a 5 gallon batch. But I don't think it would fit in a 5 gallon and 3 gallon pot.

If you get one bigger pot, you could split your boil. But split it equally, with 1/2 the wort, 1/2 the bittering hops, 1/2 the flavor hops, etc. You don't want to add all your bittering hops to only one portion of the wort, since that would change your IBUs.

For all grain, you have to boil ALL the wort for an hour. You can't just boil one portion of the wort for 15 minutes. You'll need to have a good hot break, boil off the DMS precursors, etc.

Latest posts

Back