First all-grain turns into Lambid type beer!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GillesF

Reaction score
Hi all

First let me introduce myself. I'm Gilles and I live in Antwerp, Belgium. I'm a big fan of traditional dark beers, such as Chimay Bleu, Rochefort 10, ... Other favorites are Sint-Bernardus (all of them tbh), Delirium Tremens, Pannepot, Watou Tripel, Kapittel, ...

I started homebrewing about 6 months ago. First with kits, now all-grain using the BIAB method. I'm enjoying it a lot and I'm planning on brewing a Chimay Bleu clone in the coming weeks.

Anyway, 7 weeks ago I started my first all-grain. It was a raspberry ale based on a "Palm" type of beer. Not really the best idea to do this recipe for my first all-grain but if you don't try you'll never know. :)

I did some mistakes (especially with the mash temps) but overall it went pretty well. Added the raspberries in primary and let it sit for 4 weeks. It looked like this:

2i8yryb.jpg

Then the inside. Looks like a Brett. lambicus infection!

2w4kzmv.jpg

I'm not sure what caused the infection but I'm pretty sure it was the raspberries. I cleaned and sanitized everything very well, except for the fruit. As it was frozen and packed in a closed airthight bag, I assumed they were sanitized in the factory...

I was pretty disappointed and ready to throw it all away but some people on a Belgium forum advised me to keep it and just see how it evolves. In fact, it tasted very sour but not bad. A bit like "Kriek" with the smell of raspberry and more alcohol burn.

After two weeks of lagering in my garage at low temperature, I bottled it today. Below is how it looks like (this was the bottom of the glass fermenter, the bottled beer should be clearer).

svqjb9.jpg

Tasted it and what a difference! The raspberry smell is completely gone and the strong acid taste has now been replaced by a milder, refreshing acid taste much like in a "Geuze". Also the alcohol burn has disapparead and it drinks really easily. It does lack some body, I'm not sure if this will still change or not.

In the end I'm pretty happy. It was not at all what I expected but it's still pretty good and it will be nice to drink this in the summer.

Now it's time to plan my Chimay Bleu ;-)

Cheers
Gilles

Good luck with this beer, Gilles.
You may need to be careful, though, because the brett may continue to ferment lower in the bottles and cause bottle bombs or over carbonation. 7 weeks fermentation may not be long enough for the brett to have finished fermenting all of the dextrins that saccharomyces can't ferment.

Latest posts

Back