first all grain problems

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gonpce

Reaction score
I just finished my first all grain (Irish red) and didn't calculate the proper amount of water and ended up with only 4 1/4 gal in the fermentor and an og of 1.052 instead of 1.048 will this cause problems with taste etc and if so should I add water tomorrow to make the total 5 gal.or just leave it as is. Any help would be appreciated.

I would just leave it and make the adjustment next time. Should be okay.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

No big deal; you're just going to wind up with a beer a bit stronger than you were shooting for. And if that was the worst problem with your first AG, you done good.

My first attempt was totally disorganized, but in the long run it boosted my confidence. I realized that if I can run in circles like that and still turn out enjoyable beer, life is good. :)

Keep in mind that you can always add water before or during the boil, if it looks like you're going to be short. A pretty good rule of thumb is that a rolling boil will cook off about a gallon of water an hour. So if you want five gallons and you're doing a 60-minute boil, start with 6 gallons. 90-minute boil, start with 6 1/2 gallons.

And of course, if you're going to leave some in the bottom of the brew kettle to avoid dumping a bunch of crud into your fermenting carboy or bucket, add a guesstimate of that amount to your pre-boil total.

You haven't done anything yet that hasn't happened to me.:smack:
Take very good notes. How much absorption loss, boil off, trub loss.....then make adjustments.
It took a while, but I've got mine dialed in really close. I consistently get 81% eff., within 2 points in gravity(usually it's 1 point) and 2 cups in volume.

It takes time, and lots of good notes...but your well on your way!:mug:CHEERS!!

Congratulations on a successful first all grain brew session! Like the other guys said, if all that happened was that you wound up short but strong, you're way ahead of where I was.

My advice is to let your beer go the way it wants to and avoid adding more water this time. Next time, obviously adjust things in order to correct any deficiencies you noted. My guess is that your grains absorbed more than you thought, or you boiled off more than predicted. Again - either of those will be corrected through experience.

Well done. The grass will seem greener, the air fresher and you will seem immeasurably smarter when you drink your new beer.

Latest posts

Back