First all grain batch fiasco

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimbohlia

Reaction score
Hey everybody, I'm new to all grain brewing and my first batch was not a good start. First off I mistakenly put in 5.5 gallons for my sparge which I quickly found out was wayyy high. I dumped a gallon and boiled for an extra 30 min which got me to 5 gallons and 1.046 OG, not too far off from my target 1.053 considering I dumped a gallon.
I started fermenting and everything seemed to be going well with a good bubble coming from the fermenter but after just a day and a half the lock has stopped bubbling. I checked the temp and it is good so I tried stirring to re-suspend the yeast but still no activity. I'm considering dumping the batch but was just wondering if there is anything else I can do to maybe save it. ANY ADVICE APPRECIATED!

I wouldn't dump
What temp were your fermenting at? Also airlock activity is not a sure fire indication of fermentation as others I am sure will chime in on
If I was you I would leave it for 2 weeks and then take a gravity reading and see where you are at

The fact is started bubbling seems like it started fermenting and you may just have a leaky seal ?

Doesn't sound too bad for a first AG try. Mine was much worse, even after 5 brew in a bag batches.

Tinhorn is right - leave it sit for a few weeks. My first AG batch, I missed my starting gravity by 13 points, and that is after adding the 8 oz of DME I had laying around.

Just opened the beer last night. Not too bad. A bit too bitter on the finish. But, all in all, fairly decent.

It is hard to tell how a beer will turn out. So, just let it sit a few weeks, make sure your hydrometer is properly calibrated and take a measurement.

The airlock doesn't indicate yeast activity, it's just a pressure relief system. Let it sit for a while (two weeks maybe) and then take a gravity sample. That's the only way to know if it has fermented.

A fair rule of thumb, unless you find a dead rat floating in it do not dump a batch without letting it finish and tasting it. The other guys are right. The bubbles are little more than brewer entertainment. They tell you little useful about your fermentation.

Thanks everybody for the advice. I will definitely let it sit for a few weeks and then take another gravity reading. I took one today and it was 1.024 from the OG 1.046 so it definitely did ferment a bit. BTW I am fermenting at 70 degrees

Litfa!

Lifta.jpg

A fair rule of thumb, unless you find a dead rat floating in it do not dump a batch without letting it finish and tasting it. The other guys are right. The bubbles are little more than brewer entertainment. They tell you little useful about your fermentation.

I would remove the rat.

Back