First AG recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vdub117

Reaction score
I'm planning on going to the LHBS tomorrow to pick up ingredients for my first AG batch. Any thoughts on how this sounds?

10# 2-row
1# Caramel 60
.5# Roasted Barley
.25# Black Patent
1.5 oz NB (Bittering)
.5 oz Cascade (Aroma)

WLP060

Mash @ 154
Sparge @ 170

I'm basing it loosely off an extract recipe for a brown ale from papazians book that I've made a couple times and really enjoyed although it's like no brown I've ever tried, comes out closer to a stout when following the recipe...

Yep I'm gonna do a single infusion mash, and batch sparge. After putting it into beersmith, I'm looking at 165F strike water to try and hit 154F for the mash and it's saying to use 168F for the sparge...not sure how much of a difference 2 degrees will make for the sparge?

Should have time to dive in tomorrow, I'll let you know how it goes!

168 is about the lowest temp id use for sparge. ive only one one grain batch but fellow brewers and buddies of mine sometimes sparge as high as 175 and drain really f'n quick to avoind tannin extraction.

what are you using for an MLT? i use that cooler setup and it'll hold my mash temp within +/- 1 degree if i heat it up for 15 minutes with hot hot hot tapwater.

Brewed today, and everything went off without a hitch:mug:

I broke my hydrometer before I even got started and missed mash temp by a little, 152 instead of 154, but other than that everything went real smooth!

The aroma of mashing grains is one of a kind, can't wait to taste this brew!

Cheers!

Back