First AG ..........need help quick

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Toga

Reaction score
Well to celebrate 1 year of brewing I decided to do my first all grain batch. So I picked an easy recipe and went at it. I choose biermunchers Nierra nevada pale ale. Well I just brewed, cooled, and after noticing I was a gallon short I topped off and discovered my OG to be a bit off. 1.032 rather than 1.047. Can I just boil up a pound or so of some DME real quick to bring my gravity up or should I just forget it and live with a really weak lawn mower special?

A pound of DME will bring it up 9 points. I'd make sure that you're thoroughly mixed and check your OG again and if your low, boil it up, cool it and add it.
Bull

Add the DME. You could just buy 3 pounds and use 1.5 pounds (or 2 if you are okay with going over a little bit :D ), that would get you closer and you'll have some left over for emergencies.

Thank you for the fast responses. I have already pitched the yeast......would it hurt anything or change the end result flavor wise if I wait till tomorrow night to boil it up and add? I just went to my supply closet and I am out of pale dme.All I have on hand is a pound of wheat and a couple pounds of corn sugar and of course the LHBS closes at 7 on Sunday.

If there is no other option, add the DME tomorrow. 1.032 is too low really. Another option would be to let this beer go, brew another 5 gal. batch at 1.062, and blend the two. Another option would be to add a pound of sugar. Nobody likes doing that. Do you have any honey around? 8 oz of honey and 8 oz of sugar might not be too bad. You might be able to get 16 oz of honey at the supermarket. You really wouldn't even have to boil it (although it can be tough to mix if the water isn't at 100-120 at least. If the airlock has started to bubble, I would boil the water. Turn of the heat, add the honey, cool it down and add it in.

Im having the same problem on my 1st AG batch of Oatmeal Stout. I came up 2 points low at 1.044 instead of the 1.064-66, so I am having to brew up 2 lbs of DME and hope that does the trick. Let me know if anyone else has any ideas.

I'm thinking I'll grab a bag of DME tomorrow night after work and boil it up. It will be within the first 20 hours of pitching. I'll just have to be careful when adding so I do not oxidize my brew. Next time I'll up the grain a bit to compensate and have some DME on hand just to be safe.

Im having the same problem on my 1st AG batch of Oatmeal Stout. I came up 2 points low at 1.044 instead of the 1.064-66, so I am having to brew up 2 lbs of DME and hope that does the trick. Let me know if anyone else has any ideas.

2 lbs of dme should add 17-19 pts (depending on how much water you dissolve it in). BTW, when people discuss points, one point is 1.001. I first read your post and thought, "2 lbs of DME because he is off 2 pts!" But then I see you are actually off 20 pts LOL

I went ahead and boiled a pound and a half of dme in a quart and a half of water for 10 min, cooled it, then carefully added it using my bottling bucket and wand to avoid oxidation. Hopefully it turns out well. Needless to say I will always keep some on hand when using in the future.

Back