First AG! Concern about recipe:

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Derick_Z

Reaction score
I just finished cleaning up after my first all grain batch (did BIAB with my new turkey frier), and everything went great. I was expecting around 1.040 to 1.045 and my wort in the fermenter was 1.041ish! My mash temperature was a bit uncontrolled so I was worried. Accidentally overshot the strike temp and mashed starting at 156ish, dropped to 152ish by the end of the hour.

Because SWMBO made my move to all grain possible, I told her she could pick our first AG batch. She told me she wanted something light and low calorie, and I mentioned in passing that BMC beers often used rice. She went running off and got 6lbs of Briess 2-row from the LHBS, picked up 4 boxes of instant rice at 14oz each (3.5lbs), 1oz of Cascade (it's the only hop she remembers and loves), and a packet of Nottingham because she heard me talking about it weeks ago. I was a bit hesitant as I didn't think it would turn out well, but I had promised her so with her help we did it all to her plan!

Does anybody have any thoughts or comments about the recipe? (And no, I don't care if you think it's stupid or a waste of time to brew a beer like that). How will it turn out? I'm expecting fairly little flavor, not very bitter, etc. I'm eager to see how it tastes!

Thanks

I really couldn't tell you what to expect. BMC beers are in the category of "Light American Lagers" and nottingham is a Ale yeast. I don't think it will have much flavor really. What is your batch size? even at 5 gallons, 1 oz of Cascade will not add much to the beer....

Ehhh...whatever...your still making beer, may not be "Good" beer, but still beer I guess.

5 gallons. I know it won't be very hoppy.. or very flavorful.. I just wanted to go along with her recipe! She was getting more excited and interested in brewing than I've ever seen, so I didn't want to put a stop to it! Maybe I can use this beer as an experience to get her interested in more complex recipes or more flavorful beers.

I've never heard of using instant rice in a beer.... sounds interesting. Is that a normal practice? I believe rice is a simple sugar and is.very fermentable...sounds kinda fun really. Anyone else ever done.this??

I've never heard of using instant rice in a beer.... sounds interesting. Is that a normal practice? I believe rice is a simple sugar and is.very fermentable...sounds kinda fun really. Anyone else ever done.this??

I had read a while ago that rice is a good way to boost your ABV without adding any real flavor and with minimal calories. I haven't really done any research on it though, I just tossed some in the mash! I guess it worked, because the OG would have been a lot lower with just the 2-row.

I believe Biermucher's Cream of three crops cream ale recipe uses minute rice, plus 2 row and flaked corn.

No matter how it turns out, she's gotta drink her half. That might be a lesson to use a recipe next time.

Awesome! I did some research after posting that and found that it is used a lot... I'm going to give it a shot soon. Sorry for not researching prior to posting the question. And thanks again!

Back