first AG brewed tonight

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ron,ar

Reaction score
I finally got to brew, weather has been detrimental to outside brewing but tonight was nice. All my equipment I have been putting together really worked well, no leaks, no spills, no errors.
However, I miscaculated how much loss I would have thru the boil and missed my OG. Should have been 1.052 but ended up with a 1.060. I used 10 lbs pilsner malt and 1 lb Dingerman Belgian aromatic. Beer is supposed to be a Golden Monkey ale. Got the recipe from the local hb store. I used white labs antwerp ale yeast, 500 ml starter.
I really worried about the mash and batch sparge procedure because I have never doe it before nor watched anyone else do that, just what I learned from you guys. I used the instructions/guidelines in the website below to get me thru this. I am really going to like this AG stuff.
What will the higher OG mean to the beer?

http://www.suebob.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=53:all-grain-primer&catid=40:brewing-articles&Itemid=66

Not a huge difference, maybe a little maltier than expected due to concentrating the wort and possibly less hop utilization(probably negligible). It'll be a slightly stronger version of awesome. :)

If your fermentation is good it'll mean a higher ABV. If I've run the numbers right and you get proper attenuation from the yeast you'll end up with about a 6.6 ABV beer.

It's all a learning process and I wouldn't worry about it much, we've all made mistakes early on and learned from it. If you get drinkable beer out of this batch, I'd call it a win.

Isn’t that the best?!? I mean, not only take a recipe but grind the grains, do the mash, follow up with the sparge, and then do the boil while keeping clock and temp? Then you get so much more understanding of the process that the recipes just start flowing? It’s like cooking, once you understand the mise en place then progress into the process of cooking, then the taste of ingredients, then get curious about new and unheard-of ingredients, then how those ingredients interact with other ingredients… wow! It’s like you have full control and there isn’t enough time in the world to try out so many combinations!

Then you have reality, the struggle to keep equilibrium, or ‘our’ equilibrium vs. natures and how “we want the process to go” vs what nature dictates. But then you have those moments, when you have your recipe planned… your mise en place. Everything goes right… zen right. Right as right is. Like getting on a pool table and playing for what seems like 30 min, but is 10 hours. An outstanding 10 hours!

Cheers on your first AG! I did two extracts before going AG and love every difficult / $$ / failure / frustration / success / moments of it!

It’s a fight with nature…yet trying to find a harmony, a balance… I feel so wise, I’m gonna pour another glass of my AG beer! Cheers! :mug:

Back