First AG bottled and priming now. Questions about possible problems.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NastyN8

Reaction score
Let me start off by saying my first AG turned out awesome, flavorwise....

That being said, I tried a glass of it before bottling and it seemed amazing! Great taste, hints of blood oranges came through nicely, great color, great smell. The only problem, my woman and myself drank only a small amount and got a WICKED hangover today. I mean super awful nasty sick in bed all day hangover. Perhaps I started ferm too warm? Maybe it's just not mature enough. Anyone have experience with this?

My recipe:
7# two row malt
5# German white wheat
1# mountain honey
3 blood oranges
1 oz corriander
1 oz German Halertau hops at 60 min boil.
5 weeks in primary fermenter, 67 deg.

Original gravity ended up at 1.088, final gravity at 1.02. Somewhere close to 9% I believe. The crazy thing is it tasted AMAZING. I had a friend taste it and he was blown away. Any thoughts?

Were the oranges and corriander in the boil?

In microbiology we grew some pretty wicked looking cultures from coriander straight out of the jar, and beer is the perfect batch culture.

Also how many did you drink, I might be seriously sick if I had more than 2-3 beers that heavy.

We boiled the corriander and blood oranges, nothing went into it dry. It smelled and tasted fine, nothing off about it. We only had one glass, roughly 10 oz of beer between three people, so it was a very small amount. Maybe it was just a fluke, but damn I felt terrible today and vomited a few times. Mostly like a really bad hangover, not like food poisoning or anything.

On the flip side, this recipe turned out amazing, although I ended up with almost 8 gallons of wort, had to boil it down for almost 4 hours. For how crazy the gravity readings were, it tasted really crisp and clean. Tasted almost like a light beer rather than a super heavy beer. My F*** did it get me some buzz though....

Back