First AG batch today!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WestCoastHopper

Reaction score
Today is my first AG batch! I'm brewing KingBrianI's Common Room ESB due to the excellent reviews (and straight forward mash schedule). My only deviation so far from the original recipe is that I'm using Nottingham dry yeast, as my LHBS did not have any S-04. :(

This is the first test of my homemade picnic cooler MLT, wort chiller, and keggle HLT and BK. I've hydro tested everything, but have not actually put it into use. Wish me luck! And keep an eye on this thread, I'll update as I go. Expect to see terrified panicked posts about normal brewing practices. I will do my best to RDWHAH. :mug:

So far so good! Nailed the mash temp like it was the homecoming queen. 14 minutes to go on the mash!

image-2369414528.jpg

jigidyjim said:
Curious - how did you get your mash water from your keggle into that cooler? Did you fill it up then lift the cooler up to that table?

I used a 2 quart jug. Time consuming, but accurate (no sight glasses yet in the keggles). I don't think it is a big deal though, I think you want to slowly add it anyway.

I did my first a/g two days ago, and since then most of my fears have been set aside.

I too use a pitcher to move my mash/sparge water, until I can lift the pot.

My only advice: If you workout, don't work your back muscles the day before you brew =)

Well, this is what I get for being cocky. Wicked slow lautering. Wicked slow. I guess these things aren't supposed to be fast? It's going to be 1/2 hour to get the wort out. Is that normal?

when i was using a cooler I got the first runnings out in about ten minutes .. then about the same for the sparge .. if it's still coming out, but just slow, you are probably fine though ... you must have had a very fine crush maybe ?? .. I'm sure it will be fine .. report back :)

Reporting back, all good now. Air in the line. Collecting sparge now, flowing smooth. Getting to know my system I suppose.

Ah sorry, didnt see the post above your last. well according to beersmith a 6.5 pre boil volume boiled for an hour, 10% evaporation rate, .23 gal cooling shrinkage. and shrinkage rate of 4%, your post boil volume is 5.62, and post boil OG says 1.035. I'm sure it wont be exact but probably somewhere around that

Yeah, just boil a little longer...looking back over my notes, you might expect 15-20+ points after the boil, and that's with a 60-minute boil. You might consider 90 minutes...just a thought. I wouldn't worry about it too much, though...

Did you stir really well before taking your pre-boil gravity? I've been fooled before by sampling off the top with my refractometer and getting insanely low readings. I ended up making a few of my first AG batches "imperial" by trying to compensate with DME when my real problem was wort stratification. That was also how I ended up making my first barleywine.

Have fun! Best move I made was going AG.

Having a beer, and feeling philosophical about it. Ill check the post boil gravity, but it may be more of a session beer. Big deal. Maybe I'll dry hop it (since the FWH has likely had the bejesus boiled out of it). It's "off" anyway. May as well get experimental. :mug:

20m left in the boil (90m as per advice), and almost down to proper volume. Thanks all, it's almost like you crazy bastards have done this before. :mug;

Thanks for the help folks. OG ended up at 1.052 (was shooting for 1.054). Very happy with the results. Just putting the rug-rat to bed, then I'll pitch.

I have to say that my anemic immersion wort chiller seemed to do just fine. The hardware store only carried 20 ft of tubing. Seemed to do the job though, water was warm, but not hot coming out. Chilled in under 10 min.

Looks like beer, can't wait to taste it. :mug:

at first, brewing all grain is all about getting to know your system ... just take really good notes and you'll know for sure next time how it all works ... and always look here for advice ... this is the best place on the net by far ... you're gonna love that all grain smoothness :)

Back