First AG batch: Sparging help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tomcamham

Reaction score
Hey guys, I am super excited to tell you that I finally converted my igloo in to my mash tun. I am going to start my first all grain batch monday. I have a question about the mash, I am not to familiar with "sparging". I know the concept of it, just not to sure how to do it correctly. I know the directions say what temp to do it at, but I was wondering if any of you masters could give me a play by play. I am making a smoked vanilla bean porter. Thank you.

If your doing a batch sparge just add the water as you would when mashing in. Then drain as usual. If you are doing a 6 gallon boil and you collect 3 gallons with the initial running's from the mash, sparge with 3.

beersmith is a great tool to figure out how much water to mash with and how much to sparge with. Basically you would mash with X amount of water. Then when its done, pour some into a small sauce pan and dump it back on top (put a coffee can lid on the grain bed so when you pour it doesnt disturb the grain bed). Do that until the wort runs clear, this allows the wort to filter down through the grain bed and the husks act as the filter. Once the wort runs clear, open your valve into your brew kettle and while its draining, add Y amount of sparge water which is already brought up to whatever temperature you need, usually close to 170 degrees F. Let it all drain into your kettle and you are ready to boil! Good luck!!

Edit: Beersmith is on sale for $19.99 this weekend!

Back