First AG...and lessons learned.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jnr1005

Reaction score
We brewed our first AG last night, an amber ale. And I really mean last night since we were up until after 10 PM brewing, after starting at 3 PM. (Darn work and being asked to come in on a Sunday to oversee some subcontractors.) Some things I learned in my first attempt are as follows.

1. Try out ever piece of equipment before the big day.
-Started the mash pot on one propane burner and went to start the strike water on the other, only to find out the hose wasn't working. Delayed our start by a half hour while we fiddled with it.
-Found out the pump we had for our chiller was too small to pump a sufficant amount of water. Nothing like a 9 PM run to lowes to make the evening.

2. Slow sparge. We were aiming for 1.060 and got 1.051. I attribute most of this to the fact that our sparge time was all of about 10-15 minutes. Didn't think much of it then, but later wanted to hit myself.

3. Before running to the store, check the contents of the entire package. After a late night run for a new pump...and the tubing not fitting on the pump end, we ran back to lowes to grab some fittings....only to find some plastic size adjusters for the pump later in the package.

4. Good lighting if brewing at night. (See #3..a direct result of poor lighting and not seeing the parts.)

All said and done...the wort tasted good, so here is to hoping it is a drinkable beer in a few weeks and doesn't taste like water or nastiness.

Good to hear it worked out. I've been there a couple of times with late night brew days (nights). Not fun, especially after a day of work.

I think it's a great idea to do a "wet" run on a new system, or when you're adding a significant step to the system.

I recently acquired a single tier brewing system, and I think I did 3 or 4 "wet" runs to work out all the kinks in the system. Even that didn't take care of everything (like a clogged plate chiller from not using a hop spider), but I got very familiar with the times to heat the liquor / transfer /etc. And it got me comfortable with using the system without the stress of a live brew process.

All in all, patience is the key in this hobby. And not just once the wort is in the fermenter.

In any event, cheers on the first all grain batch!:mug:

Back