First Aerator

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChickenBeer

Reaction score
I'm buying a new aerator and am looking to figure out what is the best any suggestions? also is it possible to use fish ones? sounds weird but from my reserach I cant seem to find much of a difference.

The main concern with an aeration system is the purity and oxygen level of the air entering the wort and also the method (effectiveness and ease of sanitation) of dispensing the gas into the wort.

I think a lot of people use a 2 micron diffusion stone with an oxygen tank. If using an aquarium pump, I believe people recommend a HEPA filter. There's so much debate on this topic. You can find some fine arguments for shaking also. I heard Jamil say once that the bubbling of an aquarium pump is simply to move fresh water to the surface where it can pick up fresh oxygen. The key is surface area - I think that's why so many people using oxygen use a small opening stone.

Also, the air we breathe is only ~21% oxygen. Using pure oxygen means quicker/less dispersion time for the same O2 levels to be achieved.

Back