first aeration stone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jefferym09

Reaction score
i used an aeration stone with a pure oxygen bottle last night. my gravity was 1.062 and the instructions said to aerate it with the stone for 2 minutes. it didnt say how much im supposed to open the valve though. i opened it full blast and of course it went crazy and foamed out of the carboy in 10 seconds or so. i turned it on barely and i couldnt even tell if it was working. so in combination of various openings of the valve, i think i did it for 2 minutes. my wort is fermenting steadily right now, but im still curious if even used the stone right.

Of course my worry is if i either under aerated it or over aerated it (and of course there is a chance its totally fine.) So how do i use that stone correctly? and is it possible to over aerate with a stone?

Turn on the O2 until it just bubbles. Then sink it to the bottom and start the timer. I've heard others say (using an O2 saturation meter) that the wort will become fully saturated in only 1 minute. I don't know what wort volume they were talking about though.
The up side is you can't over-oxygenate (as far as I know).

Back