First 10G batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brokebucket

Reaction score
I could use some advise...planning on my first 10G batch. I usually follow Jamil's setup and do 6G batches with my keggle and BIAB, no sparge. With my LHBS standard grind, I fall right in there with Jamil's efficiencies. Going to a double batch, I have a couple questions:

-Should I just go to 10 gallon recipe and put less wort into 2 fermenters, or should I shoot for my standard 5.5 gallon fills?

-I plan on doing a dunk sparge to prevent overfill. Is this going to significantly affect my efficiency?

-How do others control temps for a double batch assuming split fermenters? My plan is to just use one as a control, then assume the other is the same.

Thanks!

Chris

Go for 11 gallons - 5.5 in each fermenter - if that's what you're used to. You could do 2 X 6 gals if your kettle has room for it all...

A dunk sparge is fine. I've recently tested pouring the sparge water over the bag, and it worked great.

And are you talking about fermenter temp? I'd figure the two are pretty close in temp if they are in the same chiller.

You should expect a 5 to 10% increase in brewhouse efficiency if you dunk sparge. No sparge leaves sugars behind.

There is no guarantee that the two fermenters will be the same temperature if you only control one. You could leave the beer in the pot you boiled it in and ferment the whole batch in it if you want the whole batch to ferment at the same temperature or you could just relax and let it control one and just hope the ferment goes the same for the other. I suspect they would be similar.

Thanks, guys.

I am wimping out and just doing a 6 gallon batch. I dont have confidence enough in my burner to go for a double batch.

Latest posts

Back