Firestone Walker 805 clone?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I loved my 805 clone one of my best beers

Right on! I'm pumped up for this one, I'm a big 805 fan and have been wanting to do this for a while now. do you think the .7 lbs of honey malt would still be too sweet instead of the full lb? I followed the brewtoad recipe exactly, except for the yeast.

How approachable is the real beer? I love big hoppy beers, but 95% of the people I know do not. Is this going to be drinkable by your michelob/budweiser drinkers, or "too hoppy" for them? Been planning on making something that I actually want to drink, that I can also share. Thanks.

How approachable is the real beer? I love big hoppy beers, but 95% of the people I know do not. Is this going to be drinkable by your michelob/budweiser drinkers, or "too hoppy" for them? Been planning on making something that I actually want to drink, that I can also share. Thanks.

I can't speak for this clone recipe yet (still in primary), but 805 is an extremely drinkable beer. With my very uneducated palate I would say that 805 is somewhere in between Budweiser and Blue Moon. Probably even leaning closer to Budweiser. It's popularity is growing extremely fast around California right now by hop fanatics and yellow fizzy beer drinkers alike. If you can, I'd order a 6 pack online and see what you think.

wow between bud and blue moon??
its a craft beer by definition I think it falls in as a blond
a lot of non beer snobs liked mine and homebrewers so it is approachable to both crowds

wow between bud and blue moon??
its a craft beer by definition I think it falls in as a blond
a lot of non beer snobs liked mine and homebrewers so it is approachable to both crowds

lol, as I said, uneducated palate. To me, it doesn't taste like most blonde ales I've had (though this is a blonde). It's a pretty light tasting beer, even lighter than blue moon, I think. As far as drinkability I would put it in between those two. What would you compare it to?

It's a blond ale. The English ale yeast gives it some uniqueness, as does the touch of honey malt. You're not drinking Budweiser here but it's extremely approachable. I have a batch of this (the brewtoad recipe I posted earlier) on tap now for the spring and have an evolved recipe (calypso hops, amongst other changes) fermenting now for later in summer. I'll drink them but they are mostly on tap for the BMC drinkers and those who don't want the big farmhouse ale and IPAs that I usually have this time of year.
805 itself is a great beer. Similar to Twilight by Deschutes but less hop character. You can suck down a lot of them on a hot summer day.

WLP001 works great for this brew. I have my second one on tap. I raised the honey malt from 4oz to 5oz. 5oz of honey malt seems to be about right any more then that I think its going to be to sweet.

Brewing today:

Firestone Walker 805 - Blonde Ale

Batch Size 5.500 gal Boil Size 6.750 gal
Boil Time 60.000 min Efficiency 80%
OG 1.049 FG 1.012
ABV 4.7% IBU 20.8 (Tinseth)
Color 5.7 srm (Morey) Calories (per 12 oz.) 160
Fermentables

Total grain: 10.250 lb
Name Type Amount Mashed Late Yield Color
Briess - Pale Ale Malt Grain 9.500 lb Yes No 80% 3.5 srm
Wheat, Torrified Grain 7.000 oz Yes No 79% 2.0 srm
Honey Malt Grain 5.000 oz Yes No 80% 25.0 srm
Hops

Name Alpha Amount Use Time Form IBU
Willamette 5.2% 0.800 oz Boil 60.000 min Leaf 10.9
Willamette 5.2% 2.000 oz Boil 10.000 min Leaf 9.9
Yeast

Name Type Form Amount Stage
WLP001 - California Ale Yeast Ale Liquid 2.367 tbsp Primary
Notes

mash in 169 153
mash out 189 169

I know this is old thread but did any of you 805 fans see the Dec 15 BYO magazine write up and recipe for 805?
If somebody has this addition I would like to get a better copy of the recipe than the attached copy

Clone - Firestone Walker Brewing Co.’s 805 clone Dec 2015.jpg

Ressurectus Threadus!

I brewed the BYO recipe when it came out. I did the all-grain version as written but subbed the same ibus of Glacier instead of Willamette. It was an amazing beer and I will be doing it again. N_G

805 recently became available in my neck of the woods - what a great beer. Seems like one that everyone could enjoy. Thinking about trying out the clone. Any updates on this?

I brewed the following:

8.25 lbs Pale 2-row
0.75 lbs White Wheat
0.33 lbs Honey Malt
0.25 lbs Torrified Wheat
0.25 lbs Acid Malt

1.25 oz Willamette @ 60 min
2.00 oz Willamette @ 5 min

Single infusion, BIAB full volume. Mashed in @ 150°F, held for 60 minutes, temperature dropped to 147°F by the end.

1 packet WLP002 @ 66°F 7 days, raised to 70°F for 6 more days.

Kegged, force carbonated @ 8psi & 33°F for 9 days before sampling.

O.G. 1.050 (74% efficiency)
F.G. 1.010 (80% apparent attenuation)
IBU: 21 (calculated)

Appearance: burnt golden, pours a bit hazy, 1/2 finger head, nice foam retention

Aroma: Moderate English esters, earth, honey, mild caramel and citrus in the background

Taste: Fairly clean with some hints of the English yeast, subtle honey sweetness, biscuit, orange like citrus, a bit of noble spice. The palate starts out with some sweetness but is quickly balanced on the end by a pleasant bitterness from the Willamette hops.

Feel: Mild carbonation, not thick but not overly thin, immensely drinkable.

A little more "English" and less sweet than 805. I'll have to try them side by side to see how close they are but this is an awesome recipe. An easy drinking 5.3% Blonde that is interesting enough for craft brewers but approachable enough for BMC drinkers. Probably one of the most delicious beers I've brewed. The WLP002 seems to have added a substantial amount of english character to the aroma, I'm not sure if Firestone Walker is actually using WLP002 for this. If I entered this in a competition I would probably submit it as an english style beer over an American blonde.

IMG_2952.JPG

I brewed the following:

8.25 lbs Pale 2-row
0.75 lbs White Wheat
0.33 lbs Honey Malt
0.25 lbs Torrified Wheat
0.25 lbs Acid Malt

1.25 oz Willamette @ 60 min
2.00 oz Willamette @ 5 min

Single infusion, BIAB full volume. Mashed in @ 150°F, held for 60 minutes, temperature dropped to 147°F by the end.

1 packet WLP002 @ 66°F 7 days, raised to 70°F for 6 more days.

Kegged, force carbonated @ 8psi & 33°F for 9 days before sampling.

O.G. 1.050 (74% efficiency)
F.G. 1.010 (80% apparent attenuation)
IBU: 21 (calculated)

Appearance: burnt golden, pours a bit hazy, 1/2 finger head, nice foam retention

Aroma: Moderate English esters, earth, honey, mild caramel and citrus in the background

Taste: Fairly clean with some hints of the English yeast, subtle honey sweetness, biscuit, orange like citrus, a bit of noble spice. The palate starts out with some sweetness but is quickly balanced on the end by a pleasant bitterness from the Willamette hops.

Feel: Mild carbonation, not thick but not overly thin, immensely drinkable.

A little more "English" and less sweet than 805. I'll have to try them side by side to see how close they are but this is an awesome recipe. An easy drinking 5.3% Blonde that is interesting enough for craft brewers but approachable enough for BMC drinkers. Probably one of the most delicious beers I've brewed. The WLP002 seems to have added a substantial amount of english character to the aroma, I'm not sure if Firestone Walker is actually using WLP002 for this. If I entered this in a competition I would probably submit it as an english style beer over an American blonde.

View attachment 565537
Maybe wlp001?

Back