Firearms

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I moved in October and haven't had a chance to brew since then, so I've been away from HBT for a long time. Since then I acquired a new Savage 12FV in .223. Check out what it can do - 5 shots at 100 meters just over 1/2 inch. This is where you get the real benefit of reloading:
:rockin:
IMG_0655.jpg

I just added a Ruger M77 .22-250 to my collection. I put a Shepherd scope on it and have it zeroed at 200 yards. Had a 3 shot group that a quarter could touch. Going out this Sunday for Coyote/Fox. Nothing like trying to drop a 25mph moving loaf of bread at 250-300 yards.

I got into hunting about 5 years ago, but I was into shooting years before that.

I have a S&W .357 686 with a 6 inch barrel, a .40 Glock 23, a .22 Ruger 10/22(a joy to shoot), a .44 Winchester lever action rifle(a great deer gun in thick woods or brush), a 12 gauge Stoeger Turkey gun, and a 7mm Remington 700BDL.

This year I had to replace the scope on my Remington because it kept fogging on the inside. Also, after I shot my buck with it, it some how was off by almost 2 feet at 100 yards.

I've shot a few times with cousins/uncle and friends, but never owned anything. I grew up in town with my bro and mom so guns weren't really part of my upbringing. I did go through hunter safety course in highschool just to do it though. Thats when I'll never hunt during gun season on public land after seeing some of the people they handed licenses to.
I would love a small hand gun by my bedside. Always loved my friends .38 special. I like shooting revolvers more than clips. But I know VERY little about gun. I understand safety just not the terminology for everything or any history about gun. I need to talk the wife into having a gun in the house though with our 7mo old son. She grew up around hunting and should understand gun control but she gets her paranoia from her mother.

What type of rings and mounts are you using? and is this on the 7MM ?

It came with a scope on it and rings and mounts. It was a Redfield scope, but I'm not sure what kind of rings and mounts. I do think that they are the Leupold type though.

For Christmas, I got a new Barska scope, but I still need to get rings for it.

Yes, it was on the 7mm. The .44 has iron sights, and I intend to keep it that way.

Blah blah blah. The Obamanator will not take our guns away. It would have too many people up in arms. Literally.

Death - for someone that is so skeptical of government (and critical of the hypocritical nature of the 2 party system) in every other thread, I honestly have to laugh at a stance on how the government is going to do the right thing when it comes to gun control.

Be honest with yourself - if the hard core left wing can ban every single gun out there they will - they don't have the distinction between law abiding citizens with guns vs. criminals, in their minds guns are evil, plain and simple.

Don't shoot as much as I used to, but I have these:

Colt Match Target AR15 (20")
Savage bolt action .270
Yugoslavian SKS
Over/Under 12g
EAA Witness .40

No all of that doesn't go in that case:
toys.jpg

No pics but:
Custom Trap Remington 1100
'46 J.C. Higgins pump 12 gauge.
Custom Ruger 10/22 Comp. Nail Driver!
Marlin 36 in 30-30 Win.
1911 from Springfield, my baby.....
Remington 700 in .308, over $5,000 in this gun, will put 2.5" groups at 1400 yds!

No pics either but just a small home armory...

Glock 17
Franchi Veloce 20ga trap/skeet (and a little duck hunting)
Yasarzin 28ga over/under skeet gun - picked this up for an obscenely low price in Turkey. Need to take it in to a gunsmith that work on this oddball, the bottom barrel has a tendency not to fire on the first trigger pull.

I'm looking at picking up a couple more pistols (possibly a Sig or another Glock) and a good deer hunting rifle. I wouldn't mind getting a larger shotgun for duck/geese season, but the 20ga works well enough and I can shoot it all day and not wake up sore.

Terje

No pics either but just a small home armory...

Glock 17
Franchi Veloce 20ga trap/skeet (and a little duck hunting)
Yasarzin 28ga over/under skeet gun - picked this up for an obscenely low price in Turkey. Need to take it in to a gunsmith that work on this oddball, the bottom barrel has a tendency not to fire on the first trigger pull.

I'm looking at picking up a couple more pistols (possibly a Sig or another Glock) and a good deer hunting rifle. I wouldn't mind getting a larger shotgun for duck/geese season, but the 20ga works well enough and I can shoot it all day and not wake up sore.

Terje

Either a Sig- (My love) or 4 glocks. lol

This just out:

CNN - Obama To BAN Guns
WATCH THIS BROADCAST, LINK BELOW

The Gun Ban list is outNeedless to say, I am a little upset by this list. View the Youtube at the bottom of this page.

Here it is folks, and it is bad news. The framework for legislation is always laid, and the Democrats have the votes to pass anything they want to impose upon us. They really do not believe you need anything more than a brick to defend your home and family. Look at the list and see how many you own. Remember, it is registration, then confiscation. It has happened in the UK, in Australia, in Europe, in China, and what they have found is that for
some reason the criminals do not turn in their weapons, but will know that
you did.

It will come up for a vote, and it might even be a secret vote if Madame Pelosi has her way, and then it will be a done deal. ...thanks to Colonel Rus. Hal

Right to own a gun

Remember, The first step in establishing a dictatorship is to disarm the citizens.

CNN- Obama To BAN Guns

Blah blah blah. The Obamanator will not take our guns away. It would have too many people up in arms. Literally.

That's one of the reasons for them hiring Blackwater to man all the FEMA Concentration Camps built by Halliburton...the Fascists will take over...:mad:

Death - for someone that is so skeptical of government (and critical of the hypocritical nature of the 2 party system) in every other thread, I honestly have to laugh at a stance on how the government is going to do the right thing when it comes to gun control.

Be honest with yourself - if the hard core left wing can ban every single gun out there they will - they don't have the distinction between law abiding citizens with guns vs. criminals, in their minds guns are evil, plain and simple.

Plenty of room for all this in the debate forum guys, Let keep this about showing off collections and discussing the guns themselves.

I'm with IrregularPulse on this one, so I'll get back on track. I Hunt as much as I can here in East Texas. I don't like auto shot guns so I have a few Rem 870 that I shoot. One for duck and squirrel hunting and a real nice old wingmaster that mt grand father gave me for dove and pheasant when I make it up to the panhandle. I have never liked any of the black guns or ak's.(just not my cup of tea) I dear and hog hunt with a Ruger No.1 7mm mag. Thats a single shot for ya'll that don't know. I am a firm believer that if you can't do it in one shot don't do it at all. Part of hunting is about knowing what and where you will hit. I shoot 500 yards on the bench all the time but I won't take a shot over 300 yards on a deer.(287 is the longest shot I have let myself take) I love the hell out of my .17HMR it is such a fun little gun to shoot, but my ruger 10/22 is a lot cheaper to shoot. The wife and kids all shoot .243's for hunting. Wife also carries a 9mm for protection and I bring along a 4" stainless Ruger gp100 .357 that is loaded a little on the "hot" side. Most other guns are all so Rugers because I have yet to have one that wouldn't shoot good. Oh and I also load every shell that I shoot except the rim fires and my old lady's 9mm.

To help return the thread to topic here are my latest additions

Bersa .380 - Great little gun
IMG_79931.JPG

IMG_7992.JPG

Springfield XD .40 - Just bought last weekend, so haven't had a chance to shoot it, one pic with the extended mag in, one with it out.
IMG_7991.JPG

IMG_79901.JPG

Here is the current stable of self defense handguns (I have a target .22 not pictured)
IMG_7989.JPG

I have many guns we do alot of hunting in Iowa, mostly deer and upland game. I do have the passion for handgun deer hunting. My firearm that I use is a Ruger .44 double action, with a 2X scope on it. nice out to 100 yards.

I don't have any firearms yet, but I am looking at buying a .22 of some sort, just to have...

I don't really know much about purchasing guns, so any tips? where should I look, what should I look for? Do i have to get a license?

Handgun or rifle? I have a Ruger 10/22 and love it. It has been customized, and is very very good shooter. also have a ruger Mark II and also is a fun shooter. I have gotten a firearm permit, very nice to have that way you don't have to wait when you buy it. In Iowa the sherriff already ok's that when you apply for the permit along with $25 to get it.

I live in Nashville to.

You have to have a license to carry, but not to buy. You have to be 18 for long guns, and 21 for handguns.

I suggest going to Franklin Gun Shop, and looking at their selection. However, I get all my guns online.

I don't have any firearms yet, but I am looking at buying a .22 of some sort, just to have...

I don't really know much about purchasing guns, so any tips? where should I look, what should I look for? Do i have to get a license?

If you want a rifle, you can't beat the Ruger 10/22. They are fairly inexpensive yet reliable and very customizable. If you want a handgun, I love my Ruger 22/45.

To help return the thread to topic here are my latest additions

Bersa .380 - Great little gun
IMG_79931.JPG

I've got two of these bad boys.... I love em.

I was looking into buying one of those 22 round drum mags, but I guess they tend to stove pipe a bit. Best you can reliably stack em is 14 rounds. but hey their for fun right?

I've got two of these bad boys.... I love em.

I was looking into buying one of those 22 round drum mags, but I guess they tend to stove pipe a bit. Best you can reliably stack em is 14 rounds. but hey their for fun right?

hehe - I was thinking about a 30 something round clip for the 40, but I decided if I am going to get something of crazy capacity like that I will just go buy a 9mm so its actually reasonably priced to unload like you know you will want to....well, at least like I know I would want to.

yep, a rifle.. the 10/22 looks exactly what i am looking for..

so to buy, you dont need any license or anything?

where do you buy guns online?

Don't know about TN laws, but just go to any sporting goods store. They will walk you thru the process. You usually just have to fill out a form that says you are a good citizen and not a felon.

My favorite of my guns is the S&W .357 Magnum revolver, keep it ready with the 130 grain hydra-shock low recoil fed rounds with a few dozen speed loaders. Next favorite would be my new colt .45 series 80. Also have a couple 12ga, a 410 i gave away, and a winchester 30/06 model 70

Gunbroker.com and gunsamerica.com are both great places to find good deals. I would not recommend buying your first gun, online.

DO NOT GO TO A SPORTING GOODS STORE. They have NO clue, and selection is always crap.

Franklin Gun Shop off 96 will be your best bet, I know the owner, and they are a great family run shop! I saw that you are in Spring Hill, so they would be close as well.

Lots of good 22s out there. Hope that helps.

Back