Fire Extinguishers as beer equipment?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robar

Reaction score
I have two retired stainless steel fire extinguishers that were the "Just water Under Pressure" type. They are 2.5 gallons each and I can think of lots of DIY possibilities. Any reason these are unfit for beer related use? Facts please, not looking for flippant, half in the bag responses.

Okay I love a good joke like everyone else Flippant half in the bag responses are allowed, but would also like some sober-facts type responses as well. ;)

First off, why waste beer putting out a fire?

Second, if you make this work, you could sell a ton of these for dorm use!

Potentially reach out to Chip now at Chop n Brew to get connected for pointers.

image-4094499899.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
All I have is the body/vessel not the valve/handle/hose assembly. Found them at the scrap yard and thought "Hmmmm, stainless, 2.5 gal, there must be a use for this. maybe as two secondaries for a split 5 gallon batch or as a Monster Growler to take to parties whatever. For a huge growler I need to find caps to fit the approx 1 1/8 to 1 1/4 threaded opening and figure out some way of dispensing. If using them for fermenting it's just a rubber bung that fits a carboy.

You can buy screw on ball lock adaptors with NPT threads on them. I'm sure some kind of adaptor can be rigged up to turn these into mini-kegs.

You can buy screw on ball lock adaptors with NPT threads on them. I'm sure some kind of adaptor can be rigged up to turn these into mini-kegs.

Mini kegs that I could take along wold be perfect! I have a few parties I go to every year and dragging something like this along would be perfect. Gravity feed would even be okay, if I can find the right parts.

Back