Finishing a year aged ~40% fermented beer.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Silentdrinker

Reaction score
I did a big beer last year around this time. It was an experimental batch. Unfortunately the brew day was a disaster due to a bad stuck sparge and several equipment malfunction.

It was an absolute nightmare day, but I finished it many hours later. It was like 2 am when chilled and racked to the fermenter. I was so tired, neglected to inject it with O2, but I did a proper yeast starter.

The damn thing stalled at like 30-40%. I tried heat and rousing, didn’t work. It’s still sweet as all hell. I put it off and forgot about it but it’s sealed in a SS fermenter I use for pressurized fermenting. Though it lost pressure, so could’ve gone bad by now.

But I finally got around to ordering some Nottingham packets. Once they come, I’ll check to make sure it’s still good, then I’ll toss ‘em in.

I’m sure mid aging won’t become a thing, but I imagine it’ll turn out fine. I am worried it may have became a sour though. I’m not into sours, but my wife and friends are.

For those who are curious, It was intended as a heavy winter warmer. It’s a personal take on a pumpkin beer that my friends wanted to make and I’m not a big fan of. It’s loosely based on a wee heavy. I used the WLP380 intending to get some clove with out adding spices.

Has anyone experienced a partial ferm aged ale?

Hopefully it’ll be drinkable by Christmas.

Depending on what went wrong during brewing... If the mash temp was too high you may have a large percentage of unfermentable sugar/dextrins/starch and may need to take other action besides pitching more Sacc yeast.

Back