Finings added!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gazza1234

Reaction score
I decided to add finings to my fermenting brew, I've done it before mixing finings with hot water and adding to brew. Fine. This time I forgot to mix first and added packet direct by the time I could get lid band got lid back on it was reacting big time frothing up. I cleaned up and now it is back to normal fermenting. What damage have I done to the brew? I don't want to keg it and wait and see.

Honestly I know you dont want to hear it but there are so many things that could have happen. You just have to keg then wait and see. Probably just a co2 release like said before (done beer has about 0.8 vols without anything added) and should be fine. Maybe caused some oxidation but probably still a good beer.

Yeah, as @Sparkncode said, fining should be done after the fermentation is over.

Best it to first keep the fermentor with the finished beer in a cold place, like your fermentation chamber cranked down to around 32F (or as close to as possible) for a few days. This is called cold crashing, to let the majority of yeast settle (floc) out. Then add your dissolved gelatin, and keep crashing for a few more days to get most of the haze out.

If you're kegging you can also add gelatin to the keg and same thing, keep cold for a few days or weeks. It will get clearer over time while you're drinking.

Although it's very difficult to remove all yeast with fining, mind you, when bottling, some yeast does need to remain so she can ferment your priming sugar to create carbonation.

Back