Fining agents and natural carbonation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrBJones

Reaction score
Brewing my first batch after an 18 year break. It's five gallons of of Irish Red Ale, and has been in the primary (carboy) for a week. It's pretty cloudy; will probably settle out some in the next week, but I'm considering using a fining agent to help it along. Before I do that, though, I want to be sure it won't have an impact on natural carbonation later. Could fining cause so much yeast to settle out that it inhibits the necessary fermentation in the bottles?

By the way, which fining agents offer the best combination of ease and effectiveness?

Thanks!

I just started using whirfloc but the directions state to add during the last 10 min of the boil, I think that Irish Moss works the same way (though I havent used just that)

I think at this point you have two options
Add gelatin after racking to 2nd
cold crash

Both of these techniques are covered in depth elsewhere in the forums, and I dont think either of them will remove enough yeast to prevent bottle conditioning.

I'm not an expert, but I do not think fining will inhibit fermentation in the bottle.
After fermentation I cold crash and add gelatin and that works pretty well. I'm going to try adding Irish Moss at the end of the boil and see if that works as well as gelatin. It would be somewhat easier.

Thanks for the replies. I did use Whirlfloc, added it with 10 minutes of boil left. Had a good hot break too, lot of stuff was left on the bottom of the pot.

Use gelatin. For the most part gelatin will not have effect on natural carbonation. It may take an extra week but all should be good.

Thanks for the replies. I did use Whirlfloc, added it with 10 minutes of boil left. Had a good hot break too, lot of stuff was left on the bottom of the pot.

I use Whirlfloc combined with 3 weeks in the fermenter. Brews come out really clear.

From what I've read recently, Whirlfloc works best at 5 minutes left in the boil. By 10 minutes it's partially denatured and after 15 minutes it's useless. I've always just chucked it into the boil somewhere in the last 20 minutes, so I'll be modifying my procedure.

Latest posts

Back