Fine tuning final beer processes.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike COusineau

Reaction score
So I have 3 beers in the fermenter closet right now (Belgian Blonde Ale, Honey Blonde Ale, and Saison).

This post is only to get some advice on where I can tweak my process once FG has been met.

1) Keep beer in secondary fermenter bucket, and stick in fridge that is 35 degrees (24 Hours).
2) Add gelatin, replace bubbler, and let it sit for 48 hours.
3) Rack beer to keg.
4) Turn PSI to approximately 12 PSI and let carbonate for anywhere from 1 to 2 weeks.
5) Turn PSI down to 10, and pour a glass or two (should be cloudy) and after that the beer should be pretty darn clear.

A few things. I would stay away from doing a secondary. Unless your racking over fruit ect.... my vote is #3 . Cold crashing you risk the chance of oxygen . Unless you have the set up to do it. #3 allows you to basically crash in a keg with no risks. You can either set it and forget it or forced carb. If you have the time then set it to 12 and let it roll.

A few things. I would stay away from doing a secondary. Unless your racking over fruit ect.... my vote is #3 . Cold crashing you risk the chance of oxygen . Unless you have the set up to do it. #3 allows you to basically crash in a keg with no risks. You can either set it and forget it or forced carb. If you have the time then set it to 12 and let it roll.

Okay, so the Belgian I added Blackberries...so that is why I fermented. The other two beers, ill leave in the primary.

So if I following your recommendation for #3, when should I be adding Gelatin.

I like transferring to keg, start carbonating, then gelatin, then transfer crystal clear beer to serving keg.

I cold crash in my primary fermenter for a couple days. Then transfer to keg. I add gelatin on top of beer. Purge head space and usually shake keg at 30psi for 2 min 30 seconds to get is somewhat carbed. I then leave the 30 psi (pressure off just don’t purge) for a few hours. Then I purge it down to serving (12 or so) and taste. It’s usually 3/4 carbed or so. I leave it at 12 and the next day or 2 it’s pretty close. But it’s basically drinkable within a few hours of being racked to keg.

I would not worry about closed transfers at this point. I'm assuming you are fairly new (this is beginners brewing forum) and fermenting in plastic buckets. Keep it simple for now and add complexity as you go and only then if you enjoy adding complexity.

I'm gonna have to disagree with you there eric. Anyone who has kegs has the stuff for closed transfers . It's an easy thing a homebrewer can do to keep o2 out . I closed transfer with my plastic fermenter all the time . Carboy, fasferment and now cf5.

Hes already in deep as it is by racking over fruit , and using fining agents.

I cold crash in my primary fermenter for a couple days. Then transfer to keg. I add gelatin on top of beer. Purge head space and usually shake keg at 30psi for 2 min 30 seconds to get is somewhat carbed. I then leave the 30 psi (pressure off just don’t purge) for a few hours. Then I purge it down to serving (12 or so) and taste. It’s usually 3/4 carbed or so. I leave it at 12 and the next day or 2 it’s pretty close. But it’s basically drinkable within a few hours of being racked to keg.
I like this idea. I will roll with this!!!

I'm gonna have to disagree with you there eric. Anyone who has kegs has the stuff for closed transfers . It's an easy thing a homebrewer can do to keep o2 out . I closed transfer with my plastic fermenter all the time . Carboy, fasferment and now cf5.

Hes already in deep as it is by racking over fruit , and using fining agents.

Those plastic bucket fermenters are leaky vessels. No way he will notice difference between an open vs closed transfer and pressurizing that thing to push out the beer will be a useless PITA.

Those plastic bucket fermenters are leaky vessels. No way he will notice difference between an open vs closed transfer and pressurizing that thing to push out the beer will be a useless PITA.

I guess if his fermenters are buckets and if they leak this could be so. When I close transfer with a plastic carboy or the fasferment I dont pressure up the fermenter. I gravity feed the beer into the keg while the gas line goes to the top of the airlock from the gas post of the keg . I just let most of the co2 out of the keg first so it maybe only about 2 psi.

I think all the hype of closed transfers and LODO brewing is overblown. Will it make your beers better? More than likely. But I have been brewing 8 years. I have yet to do a closed transfer. I prefer my beers to average priced commercial craft beers about 70 - 75% of the time. And of the 25 - 30 percent only about 2% would I say were bad. So for me it hasn't been worth my time to set up to do closed transfers. LODO is something that I have almost 0 interest in pursuing in the near future.

I'm not disputing value of closed transfers but would not recommend them for beginners. I also made really good beer-in buckets and glass and plastic carboys -- for years before I ever tried a closed transfer. I was forced into closed transfers mainly by decision to brew larger volumes than I could lift high enough to gravity transfer. And since switching to closed transfers I've encountered issues and am only recently getting it done reliably in a relatively short period of time. In more than once case I had to bail on the closed transfer due to plugged poppets. Another time I wasted 10 pounds CO2 due to a gasket leak in lid of my fermentor. The beer came out fine. As good as it might of been? I will never know..the beer is long gone. I did remember what a joy open transfer into open keg through a 1/2" SS racking cane and 1/2" tubing can be.

Fermenting in a bucket just go ahead and cold crash in the bucket and do an open transfer. Really suggest getting one of these https://www.morebeer.com/products/stainless-racking-cane-12-26-tip.html you will be amazed at how fast you get your beer out of fermentor into the keg. If the beer is nice and cold when you keg you can add some gelatin just before you close it up.

Yes this happened one time when transferring a peach ale. Some of the peach particles went through the poppet. Thankfully it didnt plug it , it just stopped for a second then pushed through. I do a lot of hoppy beers and I've had an oxidized beer before and that blows . Yes I will agree if your doing open transfers dont just dump use a racking cane .

how big? i'm still lifting my 10gal fermenter onto a table.... :(

16 gallons in the fermentor. And it is sitting on floor of a fridge, about 18" off the ground. To get it out I'd need a pretty difficult reach / lift / twist move that scares my 53 year old back. Maybe your back is younger and stronger than mine but pushing the beer up hill with CO2 is still better than lifting that dang fermentor.

Back