Finding the cable between 2 switches...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Homercidal

Licensed Sensual Massage Therapist.
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Ok, so I'm replacing a few switches with some POE switches to support our upcoming telephone upgrade.

I got a Cisco 24-port out on the shop floor with a bazillion wires. About 8-12 of them are connected to something.

In the server closet I have a 48-port Cisco switch.

I can't tell which cable is running where! The person who originally wired up the devices didn't ID the cables.

I *could* wait until everyone is gone for the day and power down their machines until I only have 1-2 connected cables, but I'd rather not stay after.

Is there a way to know which MAC address that 24-port switch has and then look that mac address up on the 48-port switch's address table?

Well, never mind. I figured it out.

I telnetted into the Main switch and listed the mac address and corresponding port. Now I only have to do the same at the other switch to know which cable is the one that runs back to the main switch.

The main switch is in a cabinet and not easy to get to the MAC address, but I can find it's MAC by scanning it's IP. Then take a laptop out to the shop switch and look up that mac in it's table.

Now is a good time to start labeling all of these cables.

show cdp neighbors

should show you the hostname of connected switches, and which port they're connected to

Well, never mind. I figured it out.

I telnetted into the Main switch and listed the mac address and corresponding port. Now I only have to do the same at the other switch to know which cable is the one that runs back to the main switch.

The main switch is in a cabinet and not easy to get to the MAC address, but I can find it's MAC by scanning it's IP. Then take a laptop out to the shop switch and look up that mac in it's table.

Now is a good time to start labeling all of these cables.

Shouldn't you be able to show run or show chassis and get the mac via terminal?

Shouldn't you be able to show run or show chassis and get the mac via terminal?

I'm not terribly familiar with smart switches. It only crossed my mind that I could perform some router commands and get results.

And the Main switch was an HP Procurve. I forgot I hadn't replaced that with the Cisco yet.

Nevertheless it was really easy to log into each device and get the MAC address and Port numbers once I knew the MAC of one of them.

It was a good reminder to set up the security on them all too.

Latest posts

Back