Finally made a drinkable home-brew!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

torontosudz

Reaction score
After doing an American Brown Ale that got oxidized and/or fermented at too high temperature, and a Christmas Porter that tasted like sucking on a mouth full of cloves....

We have real drinkable home brew!

Instead of using the recipe and instructions from a kit I used the info I got from here and recipes from Jamil's classic styes book and....

I have 5 gallons of an IPA that I will actually drink and 4.5 or so of what we are lovingly calling "Fingerweissen" - started out as an American wheat with extra hops, ended up getting a bit too much munich malt due to an extract disaster and was victim to poor sanitation procedures but still turned out fine.

Now the hard part -- waiting 2 weeks for the bottle conditioning.....

Anyhow - I really did get a lot of great info from this forum and if these beers turn out as good with carbonation and at the right temperature as I think they will I will be HOOKED so thanks to you all!!

We have real drinkable home brew!

Instead of using the recipe and instructions from a kit I used the info I got from here and recipes from Jamil's classic styes book and....

Anyhow - I really did get a lot of great info from this forum and if these beers turn out as good with carbonation and at the right temperature as I think they will I will be HOOKED so thanks to you all!!

Congrats - nice job. It takes some time to learn all the details and process. But it is great when you finally feel like you are getting it all down.

Jamil's book is a great starting point - it is where I often start when I am considering a new recipe.

Once you have a handle on 4 things - you can consistently make good beer:
*A tested, well-balanced recipe.
*Cleaning and Sanitizing (PBW and Star San)
*Healthy, proper amount of yeast
*Temp. Control (chilling to or below pitching temps and maintaining mid-upper 60's for Ales).

Sounds like you are on your way. Hope it comes out well for you.

:mug: I enjoyed the ipa recipe too. You do the one with crystal malt or the one without?

Latest posts

Back