Finally! I get to build a brew room

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
got antsy and threw some tile uplast night. Still havent went up to get the saw, so i only put up pieces that didnt need cut :)

WP_20151225_06_40_15_Pro.jpg

WP_20151225_06_40_24_Pro.jpg

WP_20151225_06_40_35_Pro.jpg

Great work. I never have the patience to take pics when I do something. Just do it and get done.

I like the bottle storage but keep thinking of someone pulling one from the middle and a scene like a video game when the all start moving down and exploding. :D :mug:

..it's a Beer Fortress! Nice work. I love the nails for all your stoppers.

The wrap on your cooler, is that regular kitchen foil, or something with more R-value?

I brew in my garage, and it usually gets warm enough in the winter that I am down to my t-shirt during the boil. I would not think you would need the wood burner while you are brewing..of course, I don't live anywhere near Idaho.

What size boil pot do you have? Down the road, I would think you would want to up your pots to 10 gallons, esp. since now all your buddies are going to want to come over and brew :tank:

Please take finished photos, or better yet, post a vid on Utube.

jealous in the Old Dominion

..it's a Beer Fortress! Nice work. I love the nails for all your stoppers.

The wrap on your cooler, is that regular kitchen foil, or something with more R-value?

I brew in my garage, and it usually gets warm enough in the winter that I am down to my t-shirt during the boil. I would not think you would need the wood burner while you are brewing..of course, I don't live anywhere near Idaho.

What size boil pot do you have? Down the road, I would think you would want to up your pots to 10 gallons, esp. since now all your buddies are going to want to come over and brew :tank:

Please take finished photos, or better yet, post a vid on Utube.

jealous in the Old Dominion

the wrap is from home depot. Its foil on the outside, and has r-4 foam that is sticky. It applied well and looks nice, but sadly, it didnt fix my problem of loosing 2-3 degrees during the mash.

Im still working on the shop. It is a 100 year old barn that i am converting. I only have the walls insulated and sheet rocked. I havent gotten to sheet rocking the ceiling (or insulating) it. So, at the moment, the wood stove is a nice addition. When its 5* out, even the boiling pot dont keep up. But, since i enclosed this brew room, insulated it, put a door on, and have a space heater in there, i no longer need the stove for brewing.

its a 7.5 gal pot, and yes, i want a bigger one. Its hard to boil 6.5 gal starting vol in that pot. Im jealous of my buddies 15 gal pot. He rarely does 10 gal batches. But the piece of mind during a 5 gal batch is worth the price. Almost no risk of a boil over when there is still 16" of head space in the kettle, lol.

im gonna do a vid soon. We recently purchased a couple of horses, and getting everything set up, not to mention the price of the horses, put a big dent in my funds. Probably wont get to "finish" the room until this summer. Its totally usable right now, but not complete and the way i want it.

I like the bottle storage but keep thinking of someone pulling one from the middle and a scene like a video game when the all start moving down and exploding. :D :mug:

ugh, i can see my kid doing that. Luckly they are all empty, so no reason to take any other than from the top. But, my son, would want the one at the very bottom, lol. That would suck

finally got the door framed, rocked, and painted. Had to wait to get the ferm chamber in to finish the door. It wont fit threw the door.
Then, i started having a problem with getting a headache while brewing. I thought is was cuz my hood was not enough cfm, but realized i needed mote fresh air intake to the room, to allow the draft to start. So, in comes the 14x14 grille in the door. I put in a filter grille in so i was not just pulling in dirt from the shop with the air. Now, no more headaches, lol. Drafts perfectly.

WP_20160114_18_11_21_Pro.jpg

WP_20160114_18_11_26_Pro.jpg

WP_20160114_18_11_42_Pro.jpg

finally got the door framed, rocked, and painted. Had to wait to get the ferm chamber in to finish the door. It wont fit threw the door.
Then, i started having a problem with getting a headache while brewing. I thought is was cuz my hood was not enough cfm, but realized i needed mote fresh air intake to the room, to allow the draft to start. So, in comes the 14x14 grille in the door. I put in a filter grille in so i was not just pulling in dirt from the shop with the air. Now, no more headaches, lol. Drafts perfectly.

Smart! Good job putting a fresh air vent in the door! ALWAYS make sure you have fresh air coming in and bad air going out, even if you have to put in a fan to help the exhaust leave the brew space

Got to thinking we could just hang a sheet over the front of the bottle racks to keep the dust out. I star-San right before bottling anyway so not really a big deal either way.

Or maybe the best idea is to just turn the bottle's 180 degrees with the necks toward the wall still sloping down.

Got to thinking we could just hang a sheet over the front of the bottle racks to keep the dust out. I star-San right before bottling anyway so not really a big deal either way.

Or maybe the best idea is to just turn the bottle's 180 degrees with the necks toward the wall still sloping down.

i found a WAY better way to deal with the bottles. Went to a scratch and dent sale at my LHBS and got 5 kegs and a 2 tap system for $190. Now i will throw most of the bottles away. Only bad thing about buying kegs for $15, you have to replace the o rings, and they all have 12-24 oz. of very old nasty beer in them :/

Back