Finally got my water report. Take a look please.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jasper18

Reaction score
I contacted a very nice scientist with the city And she provided me with a water report of the water as it's leaving the facility. I guess they take two test a day and she gave me a few day's worth of results. Just need to know if this is acceptable for brewing or if I need to think of something else. I know I asked about this once but figured i'd start this one since i got an accurate, recent report with everything broken down.

Thanks.

I would like to not have to add anything to my water but if you guys see something of concern let me know.

Water Report.jpg

I'm going to say it's not bad at all, and you probably can brew most styles (except the very dark beers) without a lot of trouble. Mine is much higher in alkalinity, I have to cut it or replace it with RO water.

I've taken to trying to predict what AJ or Martin will say, as a test of my (hopefully) improving understanding of water chemistry related to brewing. So we'll see how I do. :) :) :)

Caveat: I'm certainly no expert but I do adjust my water.

You could buy store water, but then you're back to square one not knowing what's in it. It probably will come from some other city water supply.

Your water profile actually looks very good to me.

There is no perfect water for every style of beer. Lighter beers will require water with low alkalinity (ie more acidic) to get to the proper mash pH.
Darker beers require water with higher alkalinity (more basic) to balance the acids from dark malts.

Your alkalinity is in between, so you should be able to brew a fairly wide range of beers with little adjustment.

Like I said, it's a little low on calcium. I would add calcium chloride, about 1/2 gram per gallon to fix that.

:mug:

Maybe I'll swing by my local to pick some up. I think they have that. While I'm there i might as well get some Campden tablets no? I have chlorine in my water as you'd expect and I read it's a big no-no.

Ok so I will be doing a partial boil (about 3 gallons in the brew kettle and then top off to 5 gallons in fermenter) and if I'm supposed to add 1/2 gram per gallon of calcium chloride, would I use 1.5 grams for the 3 gallons im boiling, or 2.5 grams for the total 5 gallons?

Back