Finally buying my first kettle :)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JakeSparrow

Reaction score
Getting a pretty screaming deal on a 20 gallon SS kettle, $190 with a ball valve and short thermometer (for BIAB). Only reason it's that price is because I wanted the fifteen gallon custom but they were out of stock so I got the 20 for the same price. So I'm happy but I've only brewed 5 gallon batches. So is this size ok for brewing the small batches, or am I better off making 7-10 gallon batches?

Congrats

20 gal. Is a huge pot. You may find it a bit large and inconvenient for only 5 gallon batches.

Might also hold better temps with larger batches.

Batch size is up to you really, 5 or 10 should be no problem with that kettle. I have squeezed a few 15 gallon batches on a 20 gallon kettle FWIW.

You're better off with 7-10G batches because you get more beer!

Seriously, I do 5G in my 20G kettle, other than the wort doesn't reach the thermo, no real issues.

I was going to ask the same question about using a 10 gal kettle for 2.5 gal batches. I plan on brewing 2.5 gal batches (I am the only one drinking at my house and would like to brew a variety fairly often) and want to keep the ability to do occasional 5 gal batches.
I tend not to like lighter style beers.....prefer stouts, quads, doppelbocks, dark strong ales, etc......thinking I will definitely need the 10 gal kettle when doing the occasional 5 gal batch of those types of beers.

I was going to ask the same question about using a 10 gal kettle for 2.5 gal batches.

IMO using a 10 gallon pot for 2.5 gallon batches is a little more reasonable than a 20 for 5 gallon batches. I realize it is the percentage of kettle is a quarter of batch size...just the sheer size of the 20 gal is the issue.

A 10 gal for smaller 2.5 batches doesn't sound as disproportionate to me.

I use a 20g kettle for 5 gallon brews all the time. You'll be Adding more water than 5 gallonsl prob around 6 or so to count for boil off, as its a bigger pot theres more surface area that will boil off. I bought a concord kettle and installed my own drain valve and therm so the therm is easly covered by wort, just had to position it a bit to the right to avoid the gage face of hitting the hand wheel.plus you add in all the grain bill, not have to worry about boil overs and ability to brew bigger batches is all a good thing.

Don't hold back. If you're making great beer, why stop at making only 5 gallons? If you start brewing 10gal it won't be long before that seems normal or even small.

I started 5gal. After 1yr moved up to 10gal. Friday I'm doing 20gal.

You guys are great, thanks for the awesome replies. I'll stick with brewing 10 gallon batches, I have plenty of help with drinking the beer =p. picked up the kettle yesterday, she's a real beauty, it's much bigger than I thought. The guy building them ended up living right down the street from me, so I made a new brew friend. Now that I have this I'm gonna need a beastly burner that'll support it. I don't need top of the line, but I don't wanna skimp on it either so I'm definitely open to all suggestions!

Back