Final Gravity issue

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

madz1980

Reaction score
Hi,

It's my second all grain brew. first one went so well and perfect.

It's a kind of Westmalle dubbel clone using lallemand abbaye yeast.

OG 1046 and final Gravity is only 1017 which gives barely 4% alcool

No more activity since the day 3.

Had only slight activity and it stopped...

I put another yeast pack after 36 hours but changed nothing.

What happened???

Thanks to help me understand...

How long has it been fermenting? I usually wait at least 3 weeks before I even think about it. Air Lock activity means NOTHING. Take another reading in say a weel see if it's changed/

what was your mash schedule? +1 to waiting...I generally wait 3 weeks as well. Post your recipe/mash schedule...if it doesn't drop further I'd bet the issue is somewhere in there.

Your yeast has only attenuated @ 37%...it is definitely not done. Everyone here has already asked you to answer the questions I would have asked....but without any additional info, I would advise you wait this one out.

but my OG was lower than expected, 1046 instead of 1068

^^^this would concern me more than a high FG...
but, is there any chance you're taking these FG measurements with a refractometer? refractometers are notoriously inaccurate once alcohol is present.

did you hit your mash temps? i'd also be concerned about how much water you used during mash and sparge, if you use too much water in either of those that will change your OG as well

but, is there any chance you're taking these FG measurements with a refractometer? refractometers are notoriously inaccurate once alcohol is present.

Refractometers will read high when alcohol is present, but can be as accurate as a hydrometer using the correction formula. For that you'll also need to know the original gravity (OG).

First look at your crush when you experience low efficiency. Crushing finer will speed up the mash conversion. And yes, use an accurate thermometer.

Do you sparge and how? Is there a large deadspace in your mash vessel?

Not using a refracto

Refractometers will read high when alcohol is present, but can be as accurate as a hydrometer using the correction formula. For that you'll also need to know the original gravity (OG).

First look at your crush when you experience low efficiency. Crushing finer will speed up the mash conversion. And yes, use an accurate thermometer.

Do you sparge and how? Is there a large deadspace in your mash vessel?

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JMHLqnWCNjE[/ame]

@madz1980 - I had one of my first beers stall for some reason, stopped at about 1.020 when it should have been alot lower. The LHBS gave me some amylase to help break up the complex sugars/carbohydrates - if you have a local brew shop, it might be worth grabbing some and trying some of that

@madz1980 - I had one of my first beers stall for some reason, stopped at about 1.020 when it should have been alot lower. The LHBS gave me some amylase to help break up the complex sugars/carbohydrates - if you have a local brew shop, it might be worth grabbing some and trying some of that

THANKS SO MUCH, I'LL TRY, I'll keep you updated

Thanks for all good answers! It'll end like this... nothing moved... I might have made a mistake somewhere... It's been bottled with only 6g/L of dextrose and if it bubbles, I'll be really lucky... It will be my first 'session' beer if it taste good, and is not to heavy with all the residual sugar... I will let you know in two weeks...

Regards,

MaDz

Back