Final gravity assistance

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kickbacknbrew

Reaction score
I got just over 4 gallons of fresh pressed Fuji apples and added a pound of brown sugar to it. Had an OG of 1.065, using an ale east it's down to about 1.016 but has stalled. Any thoughts from anyone on how to proceed? Should I add additional yeast in or leave it as is? Still tastes like fresh pressed juice so I figured I could go either way with it. Thoughts?

I got just over 4 gallons of fresh pressed Fuji apples and added a pound of brown sugar to it. Had an OG of 1.065, using an ale east it's down to about 1.016 but has stalled. Any thoughts from anyone on how to proceed? Should I add additional yeast in or leave it as is? Still tastes like fresh pressed juice so I figured I could go either way with it. Thoughts?

you are at 6.32 % alchol right now,

if it were me...add 2 pounds sugar and give it a whirl

depends what you want the outcome to be.

tasty apple cider, or hard cider with a bite

in a 1 gallon ferment, 1 add 1 lb sugar,,you have 4 gallons

What yeast did you use and what's the temperature been? 1.016 is an odd place for fermentation to stall.

Depending on your goals - you could add yeast energizer to kick start the ferment. Or leave it as is and bottle when clear, 1.016 is a sweet cider and you're at 6% plus.

Personally, I wouldn't add sugar - I don't like high ABV cider.

I used a Nottingham Ale yeast. Last time I had used Champagne yeast and well, it tasted like champagne (as I let it ferment completely).

Temperature has probably hovered around 63 degrees +/- 2.

I initially put the yeast in 4 weeks ago, and racked it into a secondary 20 days in. I just transferred again since the yeast had stalled, which is when I took the latest reading. I have some champagne yeast in my fridge, and was considering tossing a bit of that in to convert some of the remaining sugar.

The sweet is good, but I think it's still too juice-like and probably needs to dry out a bit more.

Thanks for the responses.

Back