Final check--2 Brothers Resistance IPA clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cm02WS6

Reaction score
Going to brew this weekend and wanted a final check of my recipe. Two Brothers Resistance IPA is one of my favorites and they actually emailed me the recipe so I'm going to give it a try. For reference, here is what they told me:

Grain: 89% Base 2 row, 3% Crystal 10, 6% Munich, 2% Melanoidin
Hops: 16 IBU Chinook @ FWH, 15 IBU Centennial @ 60 min, 12 IBU Chinook @ 30 min, 12 IBU Centennial @ 20 min, 5 IBU Columbus @ 10 min, 5 IBU Simcoe @ 5 min
Dry hops: 2 oz Simcoe, 2 oz Centennial, WITH Oak aging
OG=1.070, FG=1.016, Mash 152F, Boil 60 min

That isn't exactly ready to brew so I had to do some conversions to get it into an extract recipe:

Specialty Grains: 0.5 lb Crystal 10, 1 lb Munich, 0.25 lb Melanoidin
Extract: 5.5 lbs Golden Light DME, 2 lbs Pilsen DME (but 4 lbs at boil and 3.5 lbs late addition at 15 min)
Hops: All whole leaf 2011 hops. 0.35oz Chinook @ FWH, 0.4 oz Centennial @ 60 min, 0.35 oz Chinook @ 30 min, 0.5oz Centennial @ 20 min, 0.3 oz Zues-Columbus @ 10 min, 0.5 oz Simcoe @ 5 min
Dry hops: 2 oz Simcoe, 2 oz Centennial per recipe, but also 2oz American Oak chips with 6 days left in secondary fermenter.

I'll be doing a full boil (6.5 gal start) and a yeast starter with 1056. They didn't say yeast in their recipe but I figured that would be a good start.

This calculates out to 1.065 OG and 82 IBU's. The IBU's may be a little high but I shot a little higher because I've read whole hops deliver approximately 10% less.

So what do you think?

This turned out amazing! Been drinking it for about 2 weeks now. Definitely my best homebew yet and the first one that I am really proud of (7th overall brew). I did some slight modifications to the hop schedule and oak aging as shown below:

Hops: 0.4 oz Chinook @ FWH, 0.4 oz Centennial @ 60 min, 0.4 oz Chinook @ 30 min, 0.5oz Centennial @ 20 min, 0.4 oz Zues-Columbus @ 10 min, 0.5 oz Simcoe @ 5 min

I also did NOT do any oak aging. I got a little scared about messing this beer up because I figured it would be pretty good without it.

This was in primary for 5 weeks in the low 60's, then straight to keg. 1.064 OG, 1.014 FG, 6.7% ABV. The hop aroma and flavor are amazing! I can't really say it is anything like the Resistance IPA, though. More of like "Resistance-inspired" after the changes I made. That is OK, though, because it turned out so well.

Back