Filtering

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zenriquez

Reaction score
I've been doing some research on filtering home brew. I have found many complicated processes to filter but I would like to find a simple way to filter my beer before bottling. Does anyone have any suggestions?

I simply use pantyhose over the end of my siphon tube, secured by a rubberband sterilized in vodka. Boil the pantyhose first for approx. 10 minutes to sterilize. Use tongs to fetch them out of the boiling water and hold while you insert the tube. Put a pair on both ends of the tube if you want to be safe. If the beer has a lot of hops in the fermentation vessel, you may only be able to put the pantyhose over the end that goes into your bottling bucket, as the other end may clog with pantyhose on it. Leave the pantyhose slightly baggy on the end thats in your botting bucket because sediment/hops will come through and begin to fill the hose up.

Its not the most perfect way, but hope this helps.

That seems like it would work well. My plan was to use my mesh bag over the end of my racking cane. But I think your idea will work better. Doesn't have to b perfect just a lil less sediment would be nice. Thank you!

That seems like it would work well. My plan was to use my mesh bag over the end of my racking cane. But I think your idea will work better. Doesn't have to b perfect just a lil less sediment would be nice. Thank you!

I've only made four batches of beer thus far. One ESB, One IIPA, One nutbrown, and another IIPA. In my limited experience, the ESB and nutbrown were fine with just pantyhose over the racking cane, but with the amount of hops in the IIPA's I had an issue with the the hops clogging the pantyhose on that end. So for the IIPA's I only used loose fitting pantyhose over the end of the tube that went into the bottling bucket. They fill up and catch almost all sediment. But, it depends on your brew. If there aren't a lot of hops just stick it over the racking cane. You'll figure it out.

Good luck

No problems getting sediment out of suspension. Just trying to get a brew that's more like it just came out of a brewery.

No problems getting sediment out of suspension. Just trying to get a brew that's more like it just came out of a brewery.

There are some techniques for that, but none of them involve pantyhose over tubing and things like that. That can risk oxidation of the beer, as well as be ineffective except for "big chunks".

If you want a bright beer that looks filtered, try getting a good hotbreak and then using whirlfloc in the kettle. Chill quickly to get a good cold break, and then use a flocculant yeast so that you don't have yeast in suspension long term to cloud the beer. If you still have some haze, you can try finings (like gelatin or isinglass), cold crashing (highly effective), or even using a filtering setup. Filtering setups are not terribly expensive, but usually require kegging gear if the yeast are filtered out as you can't bottle carbonate.

I don't use finings as I want vegetarian friendly beer, and I don't filter. I do follow good brewing techniques with the hot break/cold break stuff, and use whirlfloc in the kettle. I usually use highly to medium flocculant yeast, which settles out quickly and well. My beer is generally crystal clear.

Great advice! The sediment always drops out of suspension when I bottle but I would like to get rid of the sediment completely. I found a website for all of you who bottle beer and want a perfectly clear beer just like a brewery. Go to sedexbrewing.com this device allows your beer to carbonate but no sediment at all in the finished product.

I glanced at it- but then I laughed at the ridiculousness of it. It's a fix for a problem that doesn't exist.

Even breweries sometimes bottle condition their beer. It's not like champagne where there is a "plug" in their neck, as hazy beer doesn't have sediment as the problem- it's a haze IN the beer.

I'd run far far away from such a silly product and just work on fixing process flaws.

If you want beer like a brewery, filtering is NOT the best answer! Yooper's advice above is spot on. And if you want to avoid yeast in the bottle, then buy a kegging setup and bottle from the keg.

Legging may be the only way to achieve my goal. I suppose it will b worth the investment.

Latest posts

Back