Filtering out the throb and hops?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AjhW

Reaction score
One of my favorate beer styles is the IPA. I have brewed a few of these and they came out great. Recently I tried to brew a double IPA. I started my boil with 6.5 gallons of wort and did a 90min. Boil. At the end I cooled it and drained it to by carboy. There was soo much hop material and trub, that I was only able to collect 3 gallons. There was about 2 gallons of wasted wort in the bottom of my kettel that I could not use. Does anyone who brews IPAs often have any tips on "getting the wort out". I did whirlpool and let set for 20 min. before I syphoned out my wort.

Fo show. They are made too. If you are siphoning too, just put a sanitized fine mesh bag right over the auto-siphon while you transfer. I do this when I'm dry hopping. Works like a champ.

Use more wort. When I make a dipa or anything that is boiled for 90 min I use a pre boil of 8 gals and a batch size of 6 gals. If you still dont get enough strain through a mesh strainer

You should of dumped the 2 gals into the fermentor, it will all settle out after fermentation and you might of ended up with only ~4gal but its more than 3!!

You should of dumped the 2 gals into the fermentor, it will all settle out after fermentation and you might of ended up with only ~4gal but its more than 3!!

This is what i do. I dump everything from the kettle into ther fermenter unless the stuff at the bottom is just atrocious. Even then i dump eberyrhing most of the time. It will have a couple weeks to settle out once the aggressive fermentation is over.

If using pellet hops shoot yourself with a BB gun. I would say a pellet gun but that would be a double negative.

LEAF HOPS RULE!

Also filter through a first screen bazooka filter with a secondary stainless finer braided one stuffed inside FTW.

Latest posts

Back