Filtering Before Bottling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SkiNuke

Reaction score
Hey guys,

So I had to sell my kegerator, the girlfriend said we didn't have room for it... So, I've had to modify my process. I'm still going to force carb in kegs, but do it at room temp and then bottle for storage and drinking.

I've found that bottling makes for less consistent beer and a couple bottle bombs, both of which I think are tied to left over yeast. As such, want to start filtering to eliminate yeast from the bottles and make a more consistent beer.

Should I look into doing a two stage filter at 5 micron and 1 micron? Or can I skip the larger and only do a single stage filter? I also plan to use this for wine and cider making.

My process:
Primary 2-3 weeks
Cold crash 2-3 days
Filter
Carb 2 weeks at room temp with co2
Chill
Bottle

Thanks for the help.

So you don't have room for a kegerator, but have room for bottles kegs and a fridge for cold crashing? Get rid of the gf than you will have all the room in the world. Single stage filter would work great before you carb it.

I've got plenty of storage room for empty bottles/kegs in the garage, but the garage isn't insulated so I don't trust it for anything temperature dependent. As for space for a fridge, I have a mini fridge I use for fermenting that also fits my kegs and takes up very little space. So as long as I do only 1 brew at a time and get them to bottles, then I'm golden.

For the single stage, should I go with a 1 micron, or will that clog to quickly? Also, should I go with reusable filters, or disposable? I feel disposable will be easier to deal with, but could get expensive over the long run.

I understand the concern for the kezzer in the garage. I have mine in a unheated garage, I added the heating element and treated it like my ferm chamber. In two year, I have yet to have a freeze up. I bottled the ends of two kegs this week, If I had to bottle everything, I would quit, such a hassle.

Back