filtered my cider and it now tastes like juice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

abethebabe509

Reaction score
hi im pretty new to this whole process, but this isnt my first brew however it was the first one i put through a 2 micron filter.
anyways my OG was about 1.055 and FG was 1.000 so it came out to roughly 6.5-7% before i filtered it i took out a pint and put it in the fridge so i could compare it to the filtered version.
when i tasted the unfiltered version it was as i expected a slight alcohol bite to it, but when I tasted the filtered version it tasted almost entirely like juice and the hit of any alcohol was completely gone.
i was just hoping to see if this is a normal occurrence or if I might have messed something up somewhere. thanks in advance to any helpers!

how long was it in the fridge and was it capped. un capped alcohol will evaporate no?

Maybe the bite you tasted in the unfiltered version was yeast.
yeah from my research and initial thoughts as well as talking to some more experienced brewers its likely that the yeast and other proteins were retaining a lot of the alcohol bite tastes. so when they were removed i was left with a more smooth tasting cider.

Back