Filter on top of brew bucket?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pretzelb

Reaction score
Has anyone tried to filter outside the kettle by adding a filter right before the wort enters the fermenter? I just started using the brew bucket and it occurred to me that if I had a filter that sat on top of the bucket I could stop filtering inside my kettle.

If you're asking about using a mesh strainer, I've done it before with beers that have had a lot of extra hop sludge. Seemed to work well for me.

This is my set up for removing hop debris and some break material. Bucket holds a fine mesh bar and drains into carboy.

512resized.jpg

Not a bad idea. I guess you'd just sanitize it by putting it in some StarSan or maybe putting it into the boil near the end.

No dont boil it. Just soak it in star san. And they are cheap enough to just throw it away when your done.

too bad there wasnt a commonly used system like this for all the people who try to use plate chillers without hop spiders of filters in their kettles... if this was good at boiling temps it would cut down on all the plugged chiller complaints no?

Back