Filter beer before bottle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wizdumb1

Reaction score
I still have some time before my current beer is ready but I was wondering if putting cheesecloth on the end of the racking cane would remove too much yeast? I was thinking about putting it around the end but keeping it under the fluid obviously while transferring to the bottling bucket

When I poured the beer into the carboy I had some hops make it past...(Had small problems) Plus I have Vanilla Beans and Seeds floating in it now also that I wanted to avoid having in the bottles.

I still have some time before my current beer is ready but I was wondering if putting cheesecloth on the end of the racking cane would remove too much yeast? I was thinking about putting it around the end but keeping it under the fluid obviously while transferring to the bottling bucket

When I poured the beer into the carboy I had some hops make it past...(Had small problems) Plus I have Vanilla Beans and Seeds floating in it now also that I wanted to avoid having in the bottles.

The cheesecloth won't remove any yeast at all.

However, I'd be a bit concerned about being able to properly sanitize cheesecloth so that it wouldn't contaminate your beer.

A better practice may be to be very careful when you transfer into the bottling bucket so as to leave as much gunk as possible behind.

The cheesecloth won't remove any yeast at all.

However, I'd be a bit concerned about being able to properly sanitize cheesecloth so that it wouldn't contaminate your beer.

A better practice may be to be very careful when you transfer into the bottling bucket so as to leave as much gunk as possible behind.

When I transfer it to the carboy after cooling the wort I use cheesecloth or a hop bag instead of a strainer. The first time I used it I soaked it in starsan before using it. The second time I put it in boiling water then dipped it in starsan.

The issue last time was there was so much stuff clogging it. When I pulled the rubber band off I had holding it on the edge fell in and everything I strained out went into the carboy anyways...lol

My last batch I made sure I didn't suck anything up into the bottles but this one has way more larger particles in it.

Back