filling a sanke D corny keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RRL

Reaction score
Hey,

so I just picked up a 5gal corny keg with a sanke D connection and trying to figure out what is the best way to clean and fill it.

Ive done some research and there are quite a few dif ways people have done it....

For cleaning, I will definitely take the spear out at first and inspect it but odds are I will need to soak this keg for a while to ensure its clean.

to clean the internals, spear and everything.... should I strip down my coupler and push fluid down from the top back into the keg? I will be using a unscented oxy clean and warm water as has been previously recommended if using house hold products. Is there anything else I should care / clean for or is usually soaking / shaking and running the cleaner from the coupler sufficient?

To fill the keg I have 2 options... I don't brew myself yet so I buy brew from a Micro brewery.... the 1st fill I could get them to fill my corney however I do keep a 58L keg in my kegerator that I would hope to use to fill my sanke when I want to go out (building a portable keger out of coolers)

TO fill my corny using my kegerator what would be the best method? how would I "purge" the corny to ensure safe keeping of the brew

THanks!!! im all ears to ideas and opinions!

Some breweries will clean your keg for you for a nominal fee.

To fill one keg from another, you'll need two sanke couplers, with the check valves removed from one coupler so that beer can flow in and excess CO2/pressure can vent. Or buy one of these.

yea im hoping to pick one up used for a good price...

oddly enough... my sanke corny keg didnt have one of those notches to be able to pull out the C clip.. I ended up drilling my own to be able to remove it.. what a pain that was.

Back