Filling a growler of high carbed beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

green_giant43

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So, I have a dual pressure regulator- one that hooks to a manifold for normal level beers and a special one by itself. Right now I have a dunkelweizen on tap. It is sitting about 15 PSI at 38* giving me about the right vols for the style (beer line is slightly longer on it too). It tastes fantastic off the tap- big head, soft body, etc.

Problem is- when I go to fill a growler, it inevitably is flat. It's happened twice now and not sure what to do to rectify it. My normal fills at 2.5 vols or so are just fine- no issues there. But this one is giving me grief. Should I decrease the pressure before filling? Just turn off the gas while filling?

Yeah, i use the same setup and mine is hit or miss. Without having some sort of "counter-pressure" filler, the growler fillers aren't much better than pouring right from the faucet. Maybe add a stopper and some sort of pressure release button valve. I set up a bottle filler in a similar way. My setup could probably be modified to work with a growler filler. I'll see if I can grab the right size stopper for growlers and assemble a model to use and to show you. Basically a drilled stopper (whatever size for growler, #5?) with the growler filler tube going through the whole to hold pressure, then a needle valve through the stopper with a button valve attached.

Yeah, i use the same setup and mine is hit or miss. Without having some sort of "counter-pressure" filler, the growler fillers aren't much better than pouring right from the faucet. Maybe add a stopper and some sort of pressure release button valve. I set up a bottle filler in a similar way. My setup could probably be modified to work with a growler filler. I'll see if I can grab the right size stopper for growlers and assemble a model to use and to show you. Basically a drilled stopper (whatever size for growler, #5?) with the growler filler tube going through the whole to hold pressure, then a needle valve through the stopper with a button valve attached.
I know exactly what you're talking about- I read an article on here or elsewhere and built my own for filling bombers using a #2 stopper and a wand off the picnic tap. I could give that a go.
Thanks for the advice mate. I'll try to see if it works next time I go to fill one.

_

Attachments

• 20180105_140501.jpg
    20180105_140501.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 88
Last edited:
Back