FG

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

S.R.S

Reaction score
Young's extract American IPA showing an FG of 1.010. This seems a little high doesnt it? FG has been consistent for a few days but another hydrometer that came with a coopers kit is reading 1.005.
1st Hydrometer is Alla so I would expect it to be more accurate. OG was 1.051.
Any suggestions please?

Extracts often end at 1.020. I don't really take much notice of whether my FG is a bit off. Taste it. If it tastes good who cares if the FG is 1.010? I would also say that 1.010 is, IMO, average for an extract batch with an OG around 1.051. Just be sure it stays at 1.010 for a couple days before bottling.

Final gravity is a number to shoot for, not the end of the world if it isn't exactly what you expect. Yeast are living organisms and they finish when they run out of sugars they can digest. Extracts contain sugars that not all yeast can digest so ending a little higher than you want is common. If you must have the lower FG, choose the extract carefully and then look for a yeast that can bring the FG lower. Give it the ideal conditions during fermentation too.

What was the OG reading? How long has it been fermenting?

OG was 1.051 (lower, I believe than it should have been). fermenting for 3 weeks tomorrow.
Instructions state 6.5% abv so with a fg of 1.051 looks like I will be below that.

1.005 FG is pretty low for an IPA... I personally wouldn't want my IPA that dry... I like a little residual sweetness. I'd say your reading of 1.010 sounds more in line with what I'd expect. The real question is which reading is more accurate... did you check your hydrometers in distilled water? They should read 1.000 with distilled water at a certain temp (60 F, maybe) there's online tools and charts for that so you can check the calibration of your hydrometer. I'd start there and find out which reading is more accurate.

OG was 1.051 (lower, I believe than it should have been). fermenting for 3 weeks tomorrow.
Instructions state 6.5% abv so with a fg of 1.051 looks like I will be below that.

Brewer's Friend calculates 5.38 ABV. Not what expected but a good level, IMO.

If I'm looking at the correct kit....
Your kit was of the no boil variety? With a load of dextrose? You added the correct pack of dextrose to the fermenter?

It's possible your reading was off because it wasn't mixed completely when you checked. Fermentation will take care of the mixing.

Check the hydrometer calibration at the temperature it's calibrated for. Mine is calibrated for 60f but I see many that are 68f. I wouldn't expect a hydrometer to read a low OG and a high fg unless the Temps were very different.

Here's a correction form you can use.
https://www.brewersfriend.com/hydrometer-temp/

In any case, you made beer. Enjoy it.

It's possible your reading was off because it wasn't mixed completely when you checked. Fermentation will take care of the mixing.

This.
If you did a partial boil and topped off with water, it probably wasn't thoroughly mixed. It's very common to get a false OG reading this way. If you used the correct amounts of everything, including total volume, it will be very close to the gravity the kit calls for.

If your starting gravity was lower, then your final gravity will likely not be as predicted. Probably done.

FG doesn’t work like that. Your yeast will only work down to a certain level based off of your mash temp, etc. 1.010 is very good and completely normal for all OGs when brewing an IPA. Your FG will not be lower just because your OG was lower.

if your OG was 1.051 and your FG is 1.010 your ABV should be 5.4% ABV.
most of my IPA's finish off at 1.008-1.010 using WLP001 or US-05
do you keep a brew log of your brewday and fermentation, if you dont you really should think about doing it. it can help you trouble shoot and repeat recipes.
here is the link for brewers friend ABV calculator https://www.brewersfriend.com/2011/06/16/alcohol-by-volume-calculator-updated/

thanks all for your responses. I am going to post a new thread in relation to the same brew.

Back