FG stout styles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RGillette10

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

Recently brewed a Williams kit stout. I spiced it up a little bit with about a .25 lb each of black patent and roasted barley. Might have been .5 lb each. Can't remember. I transferred to a secondary and put it over French oak chips. It will be in there two weeks. I'll probably age another 2-3 weeks in keg. My question is about FG. The instructions recommended an FG of 1.021. Mine was just about that perhaps slightly higher. I always have a difficult time reading the hydrometer because of the foam. I would expect a higher FG because of the "mashed" really steeped dark grains at high temp target 157. What or who determines the FG ranges for styles? How much is just a matter of preference? Is there a good guide somewhere or a book? I was hoping for a big body. But I'm wondering if this stout might be on the sweet side. The sample from the primary on transfer was pretty delicious. Didn't have a lot of success searching the forum. Thanks.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Home Brew mobile app

Dark roasted grains contribute a fair amount of unfermentable sugars so yes that is partially responsible for the higher FG. Tailoring the fermentablity by altering temp will only work if you are actually mashing (i.e. including base malt with enzymes).

Style guidelines are here, of course nothing says you need to adhere to them.

Back