FG seems way off, maybe beer is not done yet?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

powerpunk5000

Reaction score
So im making a carrot cake sour ( sounds gross but actually just pulled a sample and its pretty good)

so the recipe I added was

5.5 lbs of light Pilsen LME

then used lactobusillius by omega labs to kettle sour for 2 days

put back on boiled for one hour and added 1 oz willamette at 20 mins

.5 lbs of brown sugar at 5 mins
1lbs of lactose at 5
2 cinnamon sticks at 5

then pitched safeale us 05

then after 2 days added half a gallon of 100% carrot juice by bolt house farms the only ingredient was carrot juice

it has 13g of sugar per serving and 6 servings total which would be 78 g of sugar

so today I pulled a sample ( its been 5 days with the safeale us 05, and 3 with the carrot juice added)

now I only did take a gravity reading of the beer before the carrot juice and not after and it was 1.050

today pulled a reading and it was only reading 1.020 or 1.018

Reaching .020 from .050 in 5 days sounds about right for US-05. I’d give it another 5-7 days before taking another sample. The 78 g of sugar in the carrot juice is less than 3 oz. You didn’t add many gravity points there.

It's nowhere near done, give it 3-4 more days and check, and then wait 2 more days and check again.

Give it more time. I don't even bother checking gravity sooner than 2 weeks.
Are you checking gravity with hydrometer or refractometer? Refractometer gravities are incorrect after fermentation has started and need to be corrected with one of the online calculators.

Refractometer or Hydrometer? Refrac needs a conversion.

Any preservatives in the carrot juice.

Low Ph makes yeast go slow (if it works at all).

Refractometer or Hydrometer? Refrac needs a conversion.

Any preservatives in the carrot juice.

Low Ph makes yeast go slow (if it works at all).

Hydrometer but 3 days later its still at 1.020 so I guess it's done

Back